Hole in the bolt 77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eddies M77

Bearcat
I see that there are several threads on the forum from time to time about the flat bolts and I am privileged to own a very nice .243 in one. But, even though I haven't been on here very long, I have not seen a thread about the hole in the bolt 77's. I know that they should be quite rare and I only remember seeing one of them at a gun show many years ago. And I haven't seen one on GB in the times I have looked on there. About how many were made and what do they sell for when one does find one? Any other pertinent info on them would be appreciated. Thanks, Eddie

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I think you are talking about the hollow bolt. They are quite rare. I don't see very many of them around. They were only made on the long action M77. They were made about the same time as the flat bolt short action. The first long actions were flat bolts(about 3000 made if I remember correctly) then they switched to the hollow bolts, I don't know the numbers on the hollow bolts.
Kevin

mcknight77

Blackhawk
My best guess is that there are about 2500 Hollowbolts. All long actions. Some of them were Roundtops and Vs. There are some interesting and very rare combos out there. They don't come on the market very often. There also don't seem to be many collecting them, or at least broadcasting that they are collecting them.

I have a couple: .25-06 V, .30-06 R, and 7Mag RS.

They don't seem to have had much collector interest when they came out, either. Most that I have seen have been shooter grade. Still looking for that elusive NIB one that I need for my early M77 display.

R77PA

Single-Sixer
Mcknight - I have 2 hollowbolts. You are right you do not see many. A lot of them seem to have been hunted hard when I have seen them. I have a 7mag r and a 270 ST.

What one are you looking for?

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Not looking for anything specific. I have enough holes in that collection that almost any configuration/caliber would fit. Mostly looking for pristine examples.

After talking to the Potato Farmer, he thinks the numbers are somewhere between 2500 and 3500.

They are out there somewhere.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Love those hollow bolts, have four, a 7mm RS, 7mm R, 7X57 RS, and a .270 Win R. Quite a bit less available than the flat bolts. I think I have only seen as many as I have fingers on one hand of any others at various gun shows. I am always looking, so... I have missed a 30-06 RS, and a couple 7mm R and RS. Would like to get hold of a 25-06.

Anyway, they add a bit of character to the otherwise round bolt, and I am partial to that.

Eddies M77

Bearcat
It does add character to the bolt. If I remember correctly about the one I saw years ago, the bolt was noticeably larger than the regular bolts that followed it. Is this correct or is my memory slipping a bit?

doccash

Buckeye
HollowBolt S .30-06 NIB From Tulsa a year ago...they are out there. Dr.C
IMG_6573.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have a 25/06 'V' HB, its a great gun, certainly not NIB condition, its harvested a lot of deer and a lot of new shooters have been introduced on that rifle. Its worth its weight in gold in sentimental value, my brother has it now.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Doc, must be a Ruger knife that you're twisting in me!

Next thing I know you're going to show me a picture of a flatbolt in .270Win.

picketpin

Buckeye
7mm Mag R - Well used. The gunsmith had a used , correct, stock in much better shape and looks much better now. I kept the original.

Don't "collect" 77s but have some and was glad to add the hollow bolt just so I could show it to people when the subject came up.

Ross