Unconverted old model Single six 9 1/2 barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
First, I know this thread is worthless without pictures. I'll see if I can figure out what to do with pictures on the camera once I press the button this weekend and post some if I can find the time. I'm more than a little technically challanged. Spelling and grammer too.

Recently picked up an unconverted Single Six convertible at a gunshow.

The 9 and 1/2 inch barreled, fixed sighted .22 with both cylinders is extreamly clean and the finest looking old model I have seen in person. It has been shot, but barely from the looks. Don't have the serial number available presently as I am out of town, but I belive she was born in '68, maybe '69 I have the two piece box with one corner that let go. Owners manual, warranty card?, excellent red cylinder bag with very tatered yellow drawstring, and the cylinder box with two detactched but still present flaps. Should there be any other items that would have come with it? What would the value be? The seller didn't even flinch when he accepted my offer which was $100 less than what he was asking. That makes me a little nervouse as sometimes I seem to pay to much and/or don't quite get what I think I am getting.

I have a fair number of Rugers, but not so much of anything special like the fantastic pieces so many of you have.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice find! It appears you got the "complete package" except the shipping carton. Is the s/n with or without a two digit prefix number followed by a dash then 5 digits? That change in serial numbering occurred in '69 and can effect the value a bit.

A little Elmer's glue, applied with a toothpick, can help your box immensely!

flatgate

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
Thanks Flatgate.
No prefix. S/N 4649XX
So if I'm looking at Ruger's web sight history correctly, I think it was born in 1966. I wasn't sure if I should try to "fix" the box or not.

Any idea of a range it might be worth?

I don't know how to grade it on a percentage basis, but it is very, very clean. Not new, but I would call it excellent plus.

chet15

Hawkeye
blackwolfe said:
I have the two piece box with one corner that let go.

I have a fair number of Rugers, but not so much of anything special like the fantastic pieces so many of you have.

Ummm....you may have one of those "fanatastic pieces"! Is there an end label on your box that says "RS99X"? 99% of the boxes I've seen with 9-1/2" Single-Sixes in that serial range were shipped with an orange and black Hawkeye box with a white RS99X label pasted to the end (over the Hawkeye stuff). The other 1% (1 - gun) has a black and red Super Blackhawk box with that label on the end.
But basically, this is where Ruger used up their Hawkeye boxes. You may have more than doubled your $ on that one :)
Chet15

chet15 said:
blackwolfe said:
I have the two piece box with one corner that let go.

Ummm....you may have one of those "fanatastic pieces"! Is there an end label on your box that says "RS99X"? 99% of the boxes I've seen with 9-1/2" Single-Sixes in that serial range were shipped with an orange and black Hawkeye box with a white RS99X label pasted to the end (over the Hawkeye stuff). The other 1% (1 - gun) has a black and red Super Blackhawk box with that label on the end.
But basically, this is where Ruger used up their Hawkeye boxes. You may have more than doubled your $ on that one :)
Chet15

I have only seen three of the ones that Chad is talking about! Great find if that is one!

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
Flatgate, thanks for the information. I paid near the low end of your price range, so it looks like I did OK. I figured if I paid to much, I didn't grossly over pay.

I looked closer at the label end and hadn't realized until Chet mentioned it that there is the single six label over something else. There is part of a letter that is not covered by the label, but I can't tell what it is. The box looks more red than orange to me. Is there a big difference in the shade of red and orange from the two boxes.

Will still try to figure out the picture thing this weekend when I recover from a long tiring work week that has me feeling like I'm coming down with something.

chet15

Hawkeye
blackwolfe:
As your box has an white label covering the end of your box, sounds like you have one or the other and since you are saying its mostly red, I think you hit the jackpot on that one. Normal Single-Six boxes were mostly black in color, with a red end and a yellow wreath around the eagle on the lid. These of course didn't need a big white label on the end as they were already printed with the "RSS9" catalog number. Hawkeye boxes were mostly orange/red, with a black end. And Super Blackhawk boxes are mostly black and have a red end and a white wreath around the eagle on the lid.
I have yet to see a 9-1/2" Single-Six in the 464730 to 465065 serial range (when it has its original box) in anything but a Hawkeye box or Super Blackhawk box with RS99X label on the end. I also know of numbers 449794 and 466786 in the same Hawkeye box and sn 465420 is a Super Blackhawk box with the RS99X sticker.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
362064150.jpg

Steve Ruger's box...........

:D

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
THIS could get a Man crazy............ 8) :roll:

Yes, but what fun!! Ruger collecting is definitely a treasure hunt!
If somebody has a pic of a Hawkeye box top, I think the question on blackwolfe's gun will be answered.
Chet15

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Jussbad, those yellow boxes in the background look unopened. If you are not going to use them then.........

I am just saying.

blackwolfe

Single-Sixer
From the pictures I believe it is the Hawkeye box. Just the very edge or the R in Ruger shows on the left side from under the stick on label. Sorry I haven't been able to get pictures yet. Thank you every one for the help.

chet15

Hawkeye
The Hawkeye box should be a dead giveaway as the main color of the lid is red/orange and has a black end. The Single-Six box and Super Blackhawk box has a main color on the lid of black and it has a red/orange end.
If you want, you can also douse the RS99X end label with lighter fluid and it will allow you to see the printed words underneath the label...should say HAWKEYE. Just let the lighter fluid evaporate though and don't pull the label off.
Chet15