Preservation suggestions - Pictures Added 2/28

Help Support Ruger Forum:

princeout

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a 7-1/2" OM .44 Blackhawk flattop with the box in what I consider exceptional shape. I'm really a shooter and prefer collecting custom Rugers more than original Rugers. This one is way too nice to cut up or shoot, so I'd like some suggestions on how some of you more experienced collectors keep the boxes from further wear and tear. I'll oil up the gun, wipe it down, put it in a rust-preventative gun sock and then into the dessicant equipped safe to preserve it. Any thoughts on keeping the box from harm - zip lock bags, acid free tissue or just set it up out of the way? Someday I'll find another custom I want and this one will get moved along to a more appreciative collector so I'd like to do no harm while I'm the caretaker.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Tim

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I and several others wrap the boxes in plastic wrap and put it up. The trick is not showing to all your friends as that adds to the aging quite a bit due to all the handling. Just take a picture and show them the pic.

When you get ready to sell, let me be the first to get in line. Real nice piece I am sure. Would love to see the pictures.

Jody

princeout

Blackhawk
Robb,
you're just an enabler. That barrel you sold me will some day grace an OM custom.
Jody,
Good point about reducing the handling. I'm just amazed that a box as old as I am can look like this one does. Wish I looked as good!
I'll try to post a picture or two later in the week, when I can get home before dark to shot them outside.
Tim

Princeout, bottom line is do NOT 'expose" the box to any 'extremes' wether they be temperature ( basements, moldy and damp ) , attics, (hot and moldy) and weight, ( stacking stuff on top of them.....)
saran wrap works just fine and the top shelf of say a closet, usually works for most folks.
the last "extreme" is as said above , handling, keep that to a minimum, everytime one opens and closes ANYTHING, you will tear, pull apart, split the corners, spill something on it, and on and on.......

princeout

Blackhawk
Thanks guys.
I'll get some pictures taken and seal everything up and put it out of harms way.
Tim

flatgate

Hawkeye
Mine ain't the best one around, but, I still take lots of pride in knowing "I have one"...... :D

44441516.jpg

flatgate

PS Well..... :roll: maybe more than one BKH-47........ :D

princeout

Blackhawk
Here are a few pictures before I wrapped up the box and put it away. I need to figure out the macro function on my wife's camera to get some decent close-ups.
Tim

IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/princeout/1959%20Ruger%20Blackhawk%2044%20FT/44FT1959001.jpg[/IMG]

Flat Top and box

44FT1959003.jpg

Label

44FT1959011.jpg

Bottom of box

44FT1959008.jpg

44FT1959013.jpg

44FT1959014.jpg

princeout

Blackhawk
It's the nicest box I've ever seen! 'Course I've only seen two. The first was a torn up .45 3 screw that I sold here a few weeks back. Not to hard to improve on that one, so this one wins the contest between the two.
Tim