Deer Stalker ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eddies M77

Bearcat
I hope this is in the right forum. I have seen a thread or two on the Deer Stalkers but couldn't find them tonight when I look so please forgive me for any redundancy. I found an early, 4 digit sn, .44 Deer Stalker in the local gun shop today that I have a couple of questions about. Really, I just need to know if the price is consistent with the shape of the gun 1st of all. The top of the receiver has much of the bluing gone which I might guess would be fairly common for that gun of that age since I would think that the receiver is a different metal and doesn't wear as well as the barrel. The bluing on the barrel is not perfect, but not a complete wash either. I am not an expert, but would place the bluing at 70-75%.

The wood is better than the metal and would put it at 80-85% with normal wear for a gun that has been hunted with. And here is the biggie-they have 650 on the gun. Is that a fair price? I found a .44 last week that wasn't a Deer Stalker that might have been a little better shape that was 500. If those of you who know about these guns were going to buy one based on what I have told you-which would you get? Or neither for those prices? Thanks

that to me is "top dollar" for a gun in that condition, BUT as you note, the "deerstalker" marked guns are NOT that easy to find,but if it was ME, and I wanted one, it better be pretty NICE if I have to spend LOTS of money, its something else to find one, not nice shape and a GOOD price ,then jump on it and "upgrade" later........

contender

Ruger Guru
If a person is wanting a "DeerStalker" to add to his collection,, OR has a serial number consecutive to that one,, it could be worth the purchase. But,, for a shooter,, and wanting a nicer one,, then I agree with Dan.
Maybe someone here would like to find a "DeerStalker" for their collection,, and if you pass on it,, share the info?????

Eddies M77

Bearcat
Contender-if anyone wants it, it is at (or at least it was on Monday) at the Spotted Dog Pawn shop in Columbia, LA. Not sure if they ship or not, but if anyone is interested I will get the ph. no. for you.