Is it just me....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
or does it seem ANYTHING for sale lately is priced like it is platinum, or at least gold, plated?

I look at Mk II's and they are asking $500 for high volume nothing special models. Shoot, I got a NIB KMK10 for $400 last fall. If you see a 3 screw the price is $500 for a beater.

I see this in many of my other ventures too.

Is it me or has pricing gone nuts? Or has the economy got people trying to make house payments off a single sale?

Cholo

Staff member
Most people aren't paying the high prices though. Some great guns at the shows, but the sellers tell me little was moving. One huge table was so busy I had to wait 15 minutes for somebody to assist me. The reason? Their prices on new guns were so reasonable. I didn't even know I needed a Kahr CW 45, but for $399 I couldn't pass it up.

Lots of people handling the fine older guns, few wallets coming out. People know the deals and are jumping on them. Used to be I'd pay extra for a certain old gun I wanted. Not any more. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time though :wink:

deserttrans

Buckeye
I agree with Cholo, lots of hi prices, but there are not selling. That is why you see them setting there with no buyer. Fairly priced items are moving but not as fast as yester year.

Hey, we sold a MK II bull barrel target, with Hougue finger groove,target grips, this weekend for $250 and it was in "excellent shape",no box and one mag, but hey , thought that was 'fair".................anf even that took almost ALL day Saturday??????
what they "ask" and what things sell for, two different worlds..........
as I often say,,,, " this ain't no museum, this $@#T is for sale...." 8)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Asking prices and selling prices aren't necessarily the same thing. MKII's up here at my usual haunt have been in the $225-$325 range depending on model for quite a long time now.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Not just Rugers. I have noticed that prices in general are up. However sales are a different story. I think the panic buying has ended. Some sellers are trying to get more out of every sale since the number of sales are going down. The days of everyone wanting to buy something at any price are long gone. Few people don't want to believe it though it seems.

Cholo

Staff member
I'm upside down in a fewl classic Rugers I own. It just makes me want to shoot the **** out of them and enjoy them for what they are.

Hey, how old is the original 'Dirty Harry ' movie??? I think you';ll find about NOW , all these years LATER, the 44 mag S&W 29's are just about caught up to the prices they iold for back then...saw LOTS of folks get burned, lost their "butts" on them ,could NOT wait this long huh....

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have been very lucky in my purchases. Do not plan to but if I cashed out today I come out way ahead. Did not get things on the cheap. Just was lucky that I bought things I liked and they turned out going up in value considerable. I could double my money on most of what is in my safe some stuff triple or even more.Good and bad I guess even though I could make a fair sum I like things to much to sell them.

Coop

Blackhawk
Firearm Sales.

I think we are approaching the negative slope of the curve for the "Obama Election Firearm Purchase" mode in our industry. I am predicting there will be a serious drop in firearm prices/sales in the next several years.

Check out Rugers (RGR) sales for 2010 versus 2009 when they report them around 2/23/11. IMO, those results ain't going to be pretty.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to visiting Ruger booth when they show up at the annual NRA conference here in Pittsburgh, PA this spring.

Dan, (rugerguy), Annie and I would love to meet you if you are coming to Pittsburgh for the NRA meeting. We'll buy lunch, or dinner at our home.

Coop

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Remember also that when it's yours and you're selling it worth more than if the exact same thing is someone else's and you're buying. :roll:

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
I have noticed that the prices on most firearms are trending up. I think most sellers are feeling the pinch of picking up some firearms at higher prices and wanting to at least get back what they paid.

Hopefully prices will trend down and we can start picking up deals again. There are a lot of new shooters now.