Fluted Cylinder Bisley SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SATCOM said:
My wife bought me a Bisley in .44 for Christmas soon after they came out. I liked the fluted cylinder. Her NM Super of course had an unfluted cylinder and looked much better when I dropped the Bisley fluted cylinder in. So being the smart guy, I send my Bisley to Ruger minus the cylinder and asked for a replacement. Returned with unfluted engraved. So much for me being smart.

SATCOM

I thought Ruger only put original parts in there guns when you sent something in for work? Might just be an oversight seeing so few were made LONG ago I think 1985. ps

SATCOM

Blackhawk
powder smoke,

By the time I returned the Bisley they were not making them with fluted cylinders any longer. That's my guess.

SATCOM

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I'm also a fan of fluted cylinders on Bisley models. I have a few 41mag Bisleys and a 44mag Bisley with fluted cylinders.

This 41mag came from, of all places, Cabelas and for a great price too. No box, but in fantastic condition.
2281856180055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

Here's a RB-44 that I just picked up yesterday - it came with a mint box, paperwork and shipper numbered to the gun.
2746458030055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

fltchkr7210

Bearcat
I just bought an unfired RB-44 SN 85-4XXXX with a fluted cylinder. Is this anything of special value or should I use as intended?

The 5.5" SBH has fluted cylinders. The 4 5/8" SBH has the unfluted.

I sold an RB-44 here a year or so ago. (Bisley with fluted cylinder)

I bought it to be a shooter, but when it came with the box and all and then I realized it was less common I decided to sell it and went a diffeernt route.

chet15

Hawkeye
fltchkr7210 said:
I just bought an unfired RB-44 SN 85-4XXXX with a fluted cylinder. Is this anything of special value or should I use as intended?

Rumrunner...the RB44 is a 7-1/2" barreled Bisley .44 with fluted cylinder.
All fluted cylinder Bisley Blackhawks are pretty tough to come by, and fltchkr7210 if yours is unfired, it would have a little additional value over a "shooter" price that you intended it as.
The first batch of RB44 that Ruger shipped totaled 2,006 guns. And they made one or two smaller batches after that and that was it.
Chet15

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
I am in need of a nice boxed/papered/bagged/booked/ warrentycarded/safety papered, of .357 Bisley fluted. I wonder what it takes now a days ($$) to relocate one of them to my safe ? That would about do it for me . I still need to study the small bores to see if I need any of them , but think I have most or all of them (one of each) .

flatgate

Hawkeye
Mohillbilly said:
I am in need of a nice boxed/papered/bagged/booked/ warrentycarded/safety papered, of .357 Bisley fluted. I wonder what it takes now a days ($$) to relocate one of them to my safe ? That would about do it for me. I still need to study the small bores to see if I need any of them, but think I have most or all of them (one of each).

The Red Eagle News Exchange's Ruger Reference and their Price Guide are just the things you need!

:D

flatgate

panik44

Bearcat
I got my first Single Action Ruger in '86. A .44 Bisley that had a fluted cylinder. I remember reading somewhere (maybe in RCA magazine ?) that Ruger had trouble with the Rollmark and shipped the first series with fluted. After they announced that they perfected the rollmark I sent mine back to Ruger to have a Non fluted/Rollmark cylinder fitted. Now I have Both, but it Is and has been my favorite shooter.
Gunnknife-42-Edit.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
panik44 said:
I got my first Single Action Ruger in '86. A .44 Bisley that had a fluted cylinder. I remember reading somewhere (maybe in RCA magazine ?) that Ruger had trouble with the Rollmark and shipped the first series with fluted. After they announced that they perfected the rollmark I sent mine back to Ruger to have a Non fluted/Rollmark cylinder fitted.

Nope....you heard it from the RENE. I think Ruger actually tried to get by with the consumer by not coming out with a rollmarked cylinder gun (since they were having trouble with the rollmarking dies), but after the public balked after seeing the first guns as being fluted, Ruger got after it.

Chet15

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Hey Robb, are you ready for me to take that brown 44 off your hands? :)

The 41 that you gave me sure is a good shooter!