Brass Frame Old Army "PICS ADDED"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Trying to get an idea of the value in today's market for a factory brass frame Ruger Old Army. Gun is 99% with correct box, manual, wrench still in plastic bag. Box is 95%. What do you guys think? Pics added

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Didn't look that close. I will check it out. It does letter at least in Dougan's book. Records were closed today. Something about weather and snow. Serial number is 140-024xx

flatgate

Hawkeye
102016401.jpg

63305197.jpg

Early BP7-B's used an OM style box whereas the later examples had one of those flimsy New Model boxes....

flatgate

PS The flat topped front sight examples usually have quite low serial numbers. Mine is 140-00189.......well too early for the brass grip frame, of course.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Well, I made it back home but no pictures yet. It does not have the flattop front sight but does have the two piece black and red box. Also has the warrenty card (both pieces) and the manual. It however does not have the factory nipple wrench unless Ruger used some Uncle Mikes stuff. The gun looks unfired and the Uncle Mikes nipple wrench is unopened which I think is kinda odd. Why buy another unless you planned to shoot it. Either way, can someone tell me the updated brass frame numbers? The lastest book I have shows the total numbers to be between 1000 and 1200.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger's nipple wrench is stamped SR&Co.......

1479 BP-7B's were made according to John Dougan's excellent book Ruger Pistols and Revolvers.

flatgate

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Really trying to deceide if I want to keep this jewel. I really have a bigger interest in 41 magnums or the likes.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
seeemmiss said:
Didn't look that close. I will check it out. It does letter at least in Dougan's book. Records were closed today. Something about weather and snow. Serial number is 140-024xx

I was trying to figure out if the box I picked up seperate from mine would be correct for a late Brassy ROA (Mine letters as a 1974 Brass Frame ROA) and I was glad to see yours has the same box...

Given yours is so much older then mine, I would question if that box was correct for your gun? Someone with a wax crayon may have marked the box after the fact...? I would suggest getting a letter from Ruger and verfiying that this is a factory brass gun. If it is, that is a very nice example!

Here is mine, again I don't know that my box is correct for a late shipped 1974 gun and yours would be a couple years older then mine. I guess it depends on when the shipped.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=108718

That is a very nice revolver you have!

nrobe50

Buckeye
The Dougan book is missing some of the lettered Brass framed ROA's.

140-09362 and 140-10067 are both lettered guns and I bet there are a lot more that missed the book. I have heard that about 2400 were shipped by Ruger.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
nrobe50 said:
The Dougan book is missing some of the lettered Brass framed ROA's.

140-09362 and 140-10067 are both lettered guns and I bet there are a lot more that missed the book. I have heard that about 2400 were shipped by Ruger.

Mine letters too - 140-17298 and it shipped 1974, just remember however that you can't take the lowest and the highest to figure out how many were made! Ruger skips numbers plus some of these in the middle would have had steel grip frames too.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Quarterbore said:
Mine letters too - 140-17298 and it shipped 1974, just remember however that you can't take the lowest and the highest to figure out how many were made! Ruger skips numbers plus some of these in the middle would have had steel grip frames too.

Steel? I think not. Aluminum XR3-RED was the norm. The steel XR3-RED grip frames didn't appear until the early 1990's.

301689907.jpg

The "fixed sight" example has a steel XR3-RED grip frame.

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
$750+.........Box, papers, tool , MR3DB grip frame and panels, revolver, all top end condition. Do the math, starting with a grip frame and panels worth at least $375. Realisticall, it may be worth more.At some point we are our own worst enemy on values and have to stop living in the past. This package was worth more than $600 ten years ago. :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
$750+.........Box, papers, tool , MR3DB grip frame and panels, revolver, all top end condition. Do the math, starting with a grip frame and panels worth at least $375. Realisticall, it may be worth more.At some point we are our own worst enemy on values and have to stop living in the past. This package was worth more than $600 ten years ago. :roll:

I couldn't agree more!!
Chet15