One of the FIRST and LAST........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
Well thought I would post a picture of the earliest serial numbered FLAT GATE and the highest numbered FLAT GATE that I have......the early gun is #21 that Big Bore helped me acquire......and the high numbered gun is 61980 that Rugerguy found with a PREMIER gate on it so common sense says some one removed the FLAT GATE.....makes sense to me....just kinda KOOL....only 61959 apart.......RR

P1310309.jpg

P1310311.jpg

P1310310.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Nice, RR, I have 61960 and thought it was a decently high number to be a Flatgate.

Guess not..... :D

flatgate

PS the 21 is fantastic!

americal

Hunter
WHAT A FINE PAIR 8) Lotta numbers between those two :) I see other guys like that BROWN color in the rubber grips like me--That is really brown in the high seral # gun :!:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
What a really nice pair! the #21 looks to be new.
I have had #23 for a long time. It was from the Pete Brown Collection and he shot it.
Question: does anyone know where #22 is?? I have long thought it was Larry Koller's and was the ivory gripped RSS he so often photographed for his publications in the 1950's.

radicalrod

Hunter
El Numero Uno....Well #21 is nice but it has a few blemishes....I know where #20 is......

Don G.....I own only 1 30 carbine....#187 I think....Might have been yours at one time.....

Terry....your NM's can visit anytime....

Americal....brown is good....

BB45.....yes this is the home for wayward RUGERS.....THANKS.....
PS I can't wait for tomorrow's UPS truck :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys, see ya RR.

HI RR I have been trying to chase down #21 for about year and a half a friend of mine use to own it and sold it to another guy in the same town I live in Well im glad its got a good home . If it ever tells you it wants to go back to CT I got room for one more :)

GRAMPS

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
SALUDOs from SN 28 now(finally) living with the Hawkeye Girls here in the NNW. I am appreciative of your call last week, Rod. Congrats on the SN 21 Flatgate I HAVE A PAIR OF THOSE BROWN/TAN GRIPS THAT ARRIVED ON A SN 173xxx RSS4X A SHORT TIME AGO. Brownest ones I have seen in 40 years......... 8) The back on each panel remains in the black, however.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hawkeye, I have an RSS4x but it is all scratched up....seems a guy named Jarred JR was commissioned to do all the scratching....only one I have so I guess I will keep it....RR.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well with a "little help from my friends" I have a letter on the way from Ruger stating that this particular gun #21 was shipped to the editor of TRUE Magazine, Lucian Cary. After doing a GOOGLE search it appears he was a rather prolific author.....even writing for a few movies and screen plays....born in 1886 so he wasn't a young man when he got this gun.....I hope to do some more research and buy a few of his books to put with this gun.....sure is fun....see ya RR.

chet15

Hawkeye
radicalrod said:
Well with a "little help from my friends" I have a letter on the way from Ruger stating that this particular gun #21 was shipped to the editor of TRUE Magazine, Lucian Cary. After doing a GOOGLE search it appears he was a rather prolific author.....even writing for a few movies and screen plays....born in 1886 so he wasn't a young man when he got this gun.....I hope to do some more research and buy a few of his books to put with this gun.....sure is fun....see ya RR.

Yes...not surprising. It is my belief that all of those early sn'd Single-Sixes either went to somebody of importance within the industry, or a Ruger employee or a friend of WBR himself. Am surprised some of the other Ruger Forum members who had it in their hands didn't put that one away just to "speculate" on its provenance. Wonder what would have happened if that one had turned out to be a duplicate of Elmer Keiths? That #15 of his went for how much a couple years ago??? :D
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Wonder what would have happened if that one had turned out to be a duplicate of Elmer Keiths? That #15 of his went for how much a couple years ago??? :D
Chet15

241827893.jpg

Yes, another one that appears in my DREAMS........ :cry: even with it's goofy trigger and Gun Re-Blu Company round loading gate.........

flatgate

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
chet15 said:
radicalrod said:

Yes...not surprising. It is my belief that all of those early sn'd Single-Sixes either went to somebody of importance within the industry, or a Ruger employee or a friend of WBR himself. Am surprised some of the other Ruger Forum members who had it in their hands didn't put that one away just to "speculate" on its provenance. Wonder what would have happened if that one had turned out to be a duplicate of Elmer Keiths? That #15 of his went for how much a couple years ago??? :D
Chet15

SOLD, AT AUCTION FOR 18,000 DOLLARS PLUS 15% BUYER PREMIUM.....I WAS A PHONE BIDDER AND LISTENED TO IT SELL...... 8)THERE WERE TWO OTHER INTERESTING RSSE'S ON THE SAME SALE; ONE FACTORY AND THE SECOND, AFTER MARKET. tHE BEST BUY WAS THE FACTORY STAGGED, BOXED, PARTS, AFTER MARKET.........HE LIVES WITH THE HAWKEYE GIRLS. THINK THE BRASS MAN HAS THE RSSE :)