While Out & About Today, I Found A............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
While out gun shop touring in NorCal today, I checked on the OM Ruger Hawkeye, RH-28, s/n 252 that I discovered in January. *** It has the Bushnell Phantom Scope & Bushnell rings. *** It's still available & the shop is asking $2,300.

lmd

A Hawkeye in a gunshop? That would get my attention. I assume the gunshop knew what it was and had it priced accordingly or you would / should have bought it and relisted it here in the classifieds yourself!

lovemydals

Buckeye
The shop owner knew what he had. At this time, it's hasn't been priced. He mentioned something like $2000 when i asked, but wouldn't commit to it. I failed to mentioned that there is a scope mounted on it.

lmd

any true, dedicated Ruger collector would know in an "instant" and recognise the inherrent value and worth of such, and if it was a deal, would jump on it,cause by now, its old news or history......... :wink:

the last 3 digit hawkeye I saw anywhere, stayed in MY hands, while I made the phone call to my dealer and was gotten for $1400, I could NOT , EVER walk away from such, (and then admit I 'saw it and passed it by)?? you'd have to put ME to sleep, cause I'd be "brain dead".......... :shock: :wink:

(but then again, maybe YOU have a "blackberry" and you're standing right there, looking at it.........we would then "thank you" :D :D

lovemydals

Buckeye
rugerguy,

:? Not sure what you are saying. At this time, my Ruger collecting interests do not include the OM Ruger Hawkeye, costing $2000 plus. With this amount of dollars, I can buy multitple pieces that do interest me.

Were any of these factory drilled & tapped for scope bases? If I remember correctly, the scope was sitting on top of the barrel, but not sure if there is was a base or if the scope rings were attached to the barrel. I was only afforded a quick look.

lmd

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Factory tapped, two holes, rear top of barrel. Never any holes in top strap from factory build. Bushnell offered two types of mounts: one with a one piece base, usually marked 'HAWKEYE'; the second was a set of two bases, each mounted on a moly stud. :)

Hey, I was just "funnin" thought I put a 'smiley' face or two in MY reply.... :roll:
I always get a kick out of folks telling us they see ( saw) this or that and let it go, pass them by, me I guess I'm a bit different, as I am ALWAYS looking for "stuff" for other collectors, in fact, MOST of MY "stuff" is already in OTHER collections, hell, I could write a book that could 'dim' some of the ilustrious authors who just put down "facts and data bases",NOT pictures and stories, as we been doing this since the 1960's LONG before MANY of you ever knew of or thought about "Rugers" and besides that I did Smith s and Colts to boot, in between ( as well as Dan Wessons and High Standards) so I do pay attention, and do hear, see and read the comments as to "who saw this or that " and as I noted I do not wait till later, or as an afterthought, , gee maybe I should tell somebody, thats all,,,,,,, just MY observation, or .02 cents, and personal opinion..............
the title of my coming book, just may be "The Rugers I Used to Own" , with a second volume, " THe S&W's I Used to Own", then a Vol II, and III or my periodical .pamphlet on "Gun Boxes" by the "King Of Cardboard" ( yep started picking gun boxes out of the garbage at the local 'armory' gun shows back in the mid 1960's) LONG before they appeared on E-bay........
oh and I am already "published", in the latest, Vol 3 of the "S&WCA Standard catalog"................those are some of MY boxes...
Guess, I get 'bored' in my 'retirement', so please do NOT take it to heart or worry about it, life is far TOO short................ :wink: :wink:
Sit back and enjoy the ride on this planet Earth......... :D

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I will admit to LUSTING after a 1911 Colt NIB from the early 50's that was at the local show......almost had myself talked into owning my first one....but I resisted....I still think about it though....RR

oh no, Splitz, you didn;t do that ,did you??? 8)

I sold one of them Outdoorsman 22 boxes ( red) years ago, and a guy from New York, offered me over $200 back then....... :roll:

gosh, what would it be worth today..... :cry:

Saw a Registered Magnum box sell on the internet for $4000...... :shock:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
rugerguy said:
oh no, Splitz, you didn;t do that ,did you??? 8)

I sold one of them Outdoorsman 22 boxes ( red) years ago, and a guy from New York, offered me over $200 back then....... :roll:

gosh, what would it be worth today..... :cry:

Saw a Registered Magnum box sell on the internet for $4000...... :shock:

Hell, Dan, I bought the gun for 235, boxed, mint all around, kept it a year and got 820 for it.This was 1985. And YES, it was one of the 1033 made just before the start of WWII........ 8)

lovemydals

Buckeye
rugerguy,

Thanks for the additional info. I get the picture now. I have a better understanding of your comments.

lmd

"Seek first to understand before being understood." Steven Covey

Hey, not a problem, BUT I must admit, Splitz and I were talking about just this the other day and he did ""remind" ME, that there are people that for no other reason, but NOT "having the money, cash or credit card or checkbook , at the time..." just cannot get the job done, so I hope I did not come across too 'strong' , we just like to "try" and be able to get things done, but there are times one cannot, so for the those that DO,, and at least TRY and pass this info on to the rest of us, I "thank you"...it is still good intentions........
as they say, "sometimes you get the bear and other times, the bear gets you..." :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
HERE'S THE DEAL, AND, YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DEAL. I AM ONLY THE MESSAGE BEARER, THAT's ALL. SAME AS NO DOG IN THIS HUNT.....I HAVE ENUF FOR NOW(CANNOT BELIEVE I WOULD EVER SAY THAT) :shock: :roll:

JUST FINISHED A DISCUSSION WITH THE FOLKS AT J&G GUNSMITHING IN CALIFORNIA. THEY STILL HAVE THE SN 25X 256 WM RUGER SINGLE SHOT HAWKEYE WITH WHAT I UNDERSTAND TO BE A BUSHNELL SCOPE AND PROPER HAWKEYE MOUNT, TOP REAR OF BARREL IN FACTORY HOLES.........SOUNDS LIKE A DECENT GUN. PRICE IS 2200 PLUS SHI TO YOUR FFL.
CALL THEM, AC 916 786 9200

GOOD LUCK 8)

rtiowa5

Bearcat
Question for the group, since I am new to this forum (though I held my first Ruger more than 32 years ago now!) and many of you REALLY seem to know your stuff...

I have a (I don't know how to classify it appropriately) Hawkeye, #1266, in absolutely perfect condition, original box, paperwork and sales receipt - even the brown paper bag my dad picked it up in, and a holster. I know it's been shot (I remember taking it to our local range for just a few rounds w/Dad as a teenager 30+ years ago), but I was wondering relative value for insurance purposes? Dad passed away in 2009, and I am not sure I've got this insured for enough. I've seen a few for sale on gunbroker.com and etc., but this one is in much better shape than those.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rob
NRA Life Member

Dbl Auto

Single-Sixer
Rob, you might want to start a thread of your own to get better attention to your Dad's gun. Pics of this treasure could drive some Ruger guys crazy.
Doug

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
rtiowa5 said:
Question for the group, since I am new to this forum (though I held my first Ruger more than 32 years ago now!) and many of you REALLY seem to know your stuff...

I have a (I don't know how to classify it appropriately) Hawkeye, #1266, in absolutely perfect condition, original box, paperwork and sales receipt - even the brown paper bag my dad picked it up in, and a holster. I know it's been shot (I remember taking it to our local range for just a few rounds w/Dad as a teenager 30+ years ago), but I was wondering relative value for insurance purposes? Dad passed away in 2009, and I am not sure I've got this insured for enough. I've seen a few for sale on gunbroker.com and etc., but this one is in much better shape than those.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rob,
My PM with observations, $'s answer, and latchkey contact sent.
Splitz