Great Western 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brules

Single-Sixer
Here is a Great Western 22 I bought recently. I believe it was made around 1955. It looks to have factory one piece walnut grips.
015-6.jpg

Neat-lookin' piece. There were some quite interesting "modern" single-actions sold at the same approximate time as the early Rugers. This was one of them. Some were quite good quality, some . . . um . . . weren't.

The one pictured appears to have the two-piece grip frame similar to the Colt design, which would allow for one-piece grips. You can see the line of separation betwen the front and rear halves just above the lower corner on the front of the grip frame.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Brules

Single-Sixer
This is one of the better GW's I've come across.
Ale-8, you are correct, this has a grip frame like the Colt.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I will place a minor bet, the back 142,000 acres of the ranchita , that those stocks ARE NOT factory issue. They were FAR too cheap to have stocks like that on the GW sixguns of any caliber.
NOW.... I might be wrong....I was wrong once back in '66 and have not heard the end of that sumbiscuit yet.

flatgate

Hawkeye
As Wil has stated;

146541287.jpg

I believe the GW's used the Pointer Pups.....

flatgate

PS Wil, damn, your ranch seems small. Did you "barter" off a few parcels?

:D

cubrock

Blackhawk
Yes, Great Western's standard stocks were two-piece plastic faux stags, despite the 2-piece grip frame. Don't know if they used Pointer Pups or some other brand.

If I am not mistaken, you could special order fancier stocks.

klhill

Bearcat
Brules, nice looking GW. That's the ONLY one that I have ever seen with one-piece walnuts.Bring it out next time so I can take a look at it...............and bring the Hammerli too!

Brules

Single-Sixer
klhill said:
Brules, nice looking GW. That's the ONLY one that I have ever seen with one-piece walnuts.Bring it out next time so I can take a look at it...............and bring the Hammerli too!
No problem klhill. I'll try to bring it along with the Hammerli in May or June. I need to take the grip frame apart and see if there are any markings on the inside of the grips. I believe they are factory one piece walnut grips. I know most GW's came with the fake stag grips.

americal

Hunter
LIKE those guns :) saw a display of Great Western's at a show in Birmingham, Al. years ago the KICKER was most of them had aftermarket Micro-Sights on them :) the big bore guns had HUGE micro's on them :shock: made the ones on RSS's look SMALL--never seen such large front and rear sights :shock:

cubrock

Blackhawk
americal said:
LIKE those guns :) saw a display of Great Western's at a show in Birmingham, Al. years ago the KICKER was most of them had aftermarket Micro-Sights on them :) the big bore guns had HUGE micro's on them :shock: made the ones on RSS's look SMALL--never seen such large front and rear sights :shock:

Are you sure they were aftermarket? GW used large Micros on their Flat Top Target models. They are a scarce model.

I saw a large GW display at the 2009 January Houston show, including the only Deputy Model I've ever seen in person. Wonder if it was the same collector?

americal

Hunter
cubrock :D You could be right about that ----It has been at least 10 years since I saw the display which all the guns were in a large stand-up display case with a glass front. I had been looking for micro sighted RSS's so it really caught my attention---never seen that many Great Westerns in one place :!: Those sights were really neat looking and never forgot how large they looked---Wish someone could post and example of one of these Target guns :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Micro? Yes, I think so. I remember discussing Micro sights with the Displayer. (The RCA display, about 3 tables away, featured Bearcats.)

I've seen a GW revolver here at there at shows but never, ever a real Display of them! It was amazing!

flatgate

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
I like them also.

Faux stags are most common, and the first were the Pups, but there were all kinds of factory grips.

Here's a Micro sighted target mdl.

22FT.jpg

americal

Hunter
THAT is a good example--THANKS for all info. and pictures guys :) this gun --it looks like rear sight is hanging over the cy.frame and the front sight has been filed down---- but the guns I saw just can't remember the details since I collect RSS microed guns very greatful for ya'll posting all of this --I think I had about 3 or 4 rss microed guns at the time.