Transition Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Garlitz

Bearcat
I Decided to start a new post With Pictures Of the Type 1 Transition Flattop I picked up In Boise At The Ruger collectors Show. Thanks To heliman Who pointed me to it, Thanks RB .Flatgate And I had a Great time Checking it out . It sure was a great Weekend. Hank and his wife Did a wonderfull job putting this show on! Looked like a lot of work to me! :( Always great to spend a nice weekend with other Ruger collectors. Can't wait till next year. :wink:
394798386.jpg

394798388.jpg

394798389.jpg

394798390.jpg

GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi Without digging my type one out what makes it transition the squiggle on the front sight base ? VERY NICE BY THE WAY

Thanks Gramps
This gun is exactly as the type 1's but has the dimpled ejector rod button. Type 1's had the small serrated button on the ejector rod.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The difficult part of this formula for early guns, lies in the historical facts surrounding the change of ejector rods by the original/early owners. Many simply did not like the small serrated/flat ejector rod button. When the round dimpled button rod was introduced, the flat button rod was replaced with the second generation round button rod. Many "things" happen over a 55 year period..........And in some cases, perhaps many, faded memories,
multiple owners, auctions, estate sales and trade-ins......JUST SAYIN', OF COURSE. :wink:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Nice snag!!!
I only own a few OM FT's. But I do have a Type I #5626 about 95%
and a Type I transition #6266 which is the earliest reported to RENE about 90%.
Thanks for sharing.
Terry

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Hawkeye, it is in the proper serial range so one must have a little faith in his fellow man......however misplaced that faith is....RR.

Just checked I have 7092 type 1 and 7681 type 2.....see ya

really has nothing to do with "faith" as Splitz said, its is the desire of the owner to make it work BETTER when shooting it, and now years later, collectors say one thing, other things get 'reported' and the info as to any reference, be it Blue book ,or the RENE is just what info is actually reported, even then its not whats said ,but what is seen.........there was no mention at the factory ,time of building the gun, just what parts, the 'fitter' installed, UNLESS it was "special order".......goes back to Jeff M ,and others and the "parts bin" theory..............heck, look at all the options available from aftermarket sources today, as well as 'custom work",what wil be said another 50 years from now...........gotta remember there are still far MORE users (shooters/owners) than 'collectors'............. :wink:

NICE gun Don, we like it.............. :D

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
radicalrod said:
Hey Hawkeye, it is in the proper serial range so one must have a little faith in his fellow man......however misplaced that faith is....RR.

Just checked I have 7092 type 1 and 7681 type 2.....see ya
RR:
So noted and an edit in place........Wish I could find a coffee can full of the replaced rods with flat serrated buttons and a few 10" 357 and 44 mag flattop barrels........... 8)

hey Hawkeye, it was always easier and cheaper to cut the 10 inchers down, and move the front sight , than buy another barrel and have to pull the old one......... 8) :roll:

( or even make two 4 5/8 inch ones out of ONE barrel.... :shock:

Look at what 2 1/2 in and 3 inch Pythons are going for today, and you could NOT give away the 8 inch ones, and there were LOTS of them available :wink: even LOOSE, new barrels..........

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Nice flattop! I have one just like it at #7240

BC Mike, the front sight changed just shortly after this batch, which is why these examples with some Type 1 and some Type 2 features are called "transition" guns. The full Type 2 has the later sight which came out around #7400.