I blew my Gun Budget for a while - 1892 Takedown in 45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I was at my local fun shop tonight and they had a pair of the Japanese made Winchester 1892 "Limited" Deluxe Take down rifles in 45 Colt. One was the 24-inch (I understand only 250 of them were made) and the other was the 16-inch trapper (no idea how many of them were made). I understand from the shop as well as some internet searches these are made in Japan by Miroku who makes many of the Browning firearms and the workmanship was really nice on the two I handled!

I already have a 16-inch trapper that I plan to hunt with so I commented that I wished they had the 20-inch version (there were 500 of those made). Well, the guy at the shop pointed out that Davidson's has them in stock and on sale ENDING TONIGHT so I rushed home and managed to order one. It works out that the cost to my dealer was $990 so certainly not a cheap gun but the suggested retail on these was $1874.95 and from the two I looked at tonight these are really, really nice guns!

I decided on the drive home I will keep my 94AE as a deer gun and this 92 will end up being a fair weather gun (if I can will myself to shoot it) that will likely never see the brush I hunt in but given it has been about 77 years since Winchester made these I figure this one may well be a good investment in the years to come.

Anyways, if anybody else is interested Davidson's has 99 (which means 99 or more) of these in stock and on sale today (they may put them on sale again however - who knows). You can see them here:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=534154141

I probably will have mine next Saturday based on how quick the last gun I got through Davidson's showed up so I will post pics then.

534154140.jpg

EDIT - Older announcement about this line:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/16/winchester-1892-takedown-rifle-makes-a-comeback/

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I used to only want American made guns too. I am pretty sure this will be the only gun I have that is not American made too with exception of my AK-47s and FnFALs but I always thought the old takedowns were neat and I had looked at some of the clones but I always wanted a Winchester lever gun in a handgun cartridge.

Now, I have so many 45 Colt Rugers I really got excited to see the 1892s coming back next year so when I hit the shop to handle a Ruger 1A and I spotted these 1982 Deluxe takedowns I just completely lacked the will power to pass it up. The action on the guns I handled was as smooth as a very well used lever gun, the triggers seemed very crisp and the fit and workmanship was beyond any lever gun I have personally handled before.

I'll post a review when I get it but if the one I have ordered is comparable to the 16-inch trapper or 24-inch I had handled I am really sure I am going to love the 20-inch gun I bought.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Ken,

I have one of those in 24" that was completely redone by Turnbull. They are fantastic little guns. I think you will enjoy it. The 20" is probably going to be very handy in the woods!!

BB45C