Ruger SHOT show booth

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Well...here's something that's going to be at Ruger's booth in a couple days at SHOT....

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/01/13/ruger-displays-first-25-millionth-firearm-at-shot-show/

I'm a little perplexed though....serial number 0012 wasn't the first production pistol. But maybe they are just saying that pistol was of the first production. Well, that would be 1/2 true since the gun wasn't completed until 1977. :shock:
When somebody told me Ruger was going to show the first production pistol and the 25,000,000th gun, I was hoping the pistol was indeed serial number uno.
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
So where did the early ones go...always thought the "factory" had them...maybe they will find them at the back of the "attic".....Maybe they should call the REAL AUTO expert from TEXAS and get the REAL SCOOP......and a REAL EARLY GUN :lol: :lol: :lol: still pretty KOOL.....RR.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Ty,

I'd be curious to see what kind of packaging is with that s/n 0012 RST...hinged box, salt cod box, or nothing at all. I think I know the answer, but, out of curiosity, I'd like to know.

BB45C

contender

Ruger Guru
We'll see and as soon as I can get to a computer,, I'll post info. I'm not taking a laptop,, so I'll be at the mercy of the hotel guest computers.

RD18

Single-Sixer
Interesting ---I was told as early as last week by someone in the company --someone up the ladder --that #1 and posibly #2 would be on display --I do know that # 1 exists so as always the mystery cont. Russ

mattsbox99

Hunter
I'm not gonna lie, I would have really liked No. 25,000,000 to have at least been a Blackhawk, if not a No. 1, Redhawk, GP100, or MKIII.... I'm sure for posteritys sake its the SR9c though. I guess I'm happy Ruger is still around making great guns!

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes...Number 2 was completed as evidenced by the pic in JD's book. Have never seen what was claimed to be #1 though (I guess the only way to tell these early sn'd guns apart is to take them apart and see what sn the parts are stamped with).
And yes, there should still be plenty of early sn'd barreled receivers still at the factory. Maybe some day they'll decide to part with some of those as well.
Chet15

d findley

Single-Sixer
I might as well throw my 2 cents in. The #12 auto probably repersents
"an early, 1st year" gun, as far as folks walking thru the SHOT show are concerned. #s 3, 7, 8, were "shipped" before #12. 0010 was actually the 1st pistol to be shipped. The 3,7,& 8 were "picked up". 0012 left in the 70s, but is a correct (all the right parts) 1st model. I wish I were there to see both guns.

d findley

Single-Sixer
I just got a call from a guy at the show. He said the Ruger .22 auto displayed was not #12 but one of the tool room prototypes (1940s pistol).

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
I believe it is the one shown in the top left corner of page 28 of the Wilson Book, RUGER & His Guns. I believe the barrel of it also appears on the left of page 25; I also believe it also to be the pistol shown on the inside of the frontispiece. Pretty sure this was it!

chet15

Hawkeye
El Numero Uno said:
I believe it is the one shown in the top left corner of page 28 of the Wilson Book, RUGER & His Guns. I believe the barrel of it also appears on the left of page 25; I also believe it also to be the pistol shown on the inside of the frontispiece. Pretty sure this was it!

Yes...just saw a pic of it from SHOT...it is indeed the first handmade prototype that WBR made circa '46-47.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Oh yes...did anybody get any pics of the 25,000,000th gun? Am curious to know what it looks like so I can get a good description of it in the reference.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
I tried to get pics of the guns displayed. Unfortunately,, they were in a sealed clear box, rotating. I was able to talk Mr Fifer into allowing the stoppage of the display for pics,, (Thank you sir!) but I still got glare from the glass. Pics are very poor. I'll post what I got later.
As noted above,, the gun was the prototype,, not a production one. The bolt ears were not on this one,, but rather a round rear projection. There was a hole in the rear bolt which I believe to be for the guide rod or something. Mr Fifer allowed as they were not sure of any markings inside the gun as it hasn't been disassembled in many, many years. The 25th million gun is interesting in that the slide serretations have been replaced with the Ruger emblem,, and the words 25th million on the side. (One on each side.) Chet15; I'll be sending you more info once I get it all together.