"D" serial number guns as collectibles/collectibil

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Have run across a couple of "D" serial number New Model Blackhawks at a dealer. Doing a bit of research on the two, there have only been one or two of each model reported.

Are there Ruger collectors out there that specifically look for these variations? If so is there any premium associated with them.

Figure this is a unique opportunity, but have centered my beginning collecting around New Model Single Sixes, but if this is truly a unique opportunity, don't want to be stupid and let it pass me by.

Hoping to get some insight from the experienced collectors out there, who have been really great about sharing this type of information.

If I end up passing on these, will forward the opportunity by providing location.

Now if you say, oh you don't want those, but where are they? You might make me pounce on them anyway... :D :D :D

Know there have been a relatively large number of NR and KNR "D" marked New Model Single Sixes out there, over 200 per Reference of Ruger Firearms. Yup I keep plugging this shamelessly, but it has saved me from making bad decisions ($$$) multiple times, and has helped me find some unexpected gems too. So my way of saying thanks for Chad A.K.A Chet's efforts!

Looking forward to what you guys have to say...

To certain folks, these oddities would have a little extra appeal. Obviously, there aren't a lot of them, and the challenge to pair them up with their "non-D" mates is interesting.

How valuable? No idea. That's a matter of the "gotta have it" factor.

Not very profound observations, but that's all I have,

JMHO
:)

Coogs

Maximum
May not be as many "D" marked single sixes as ya think.......and there was a run of RCA"D" guns, as well as abunch of "Hansen" "D" guns. As far as a KNR "D" marked Single Six, last I knew there was only one that was known. I personally think they "should" command as much as a 50% premium, just depends on which model.Coogs

chet15

Hawkeye
SteelShooter said:
Have run across a couple of "D" serial number New Model Blackhawks at a dealer. Doing a bit of research on the two, there have only been one or two of each model reported.

Are there Ruger collectors out there that specifically look for these variations? If so is there any premium associated with them.

Figure this is a unique opportunity, but have centered my beginning collecting around New Model Single Sixes, but if this is truly a unique opportunity, don't want to be stupid and let it pass me by.

Hoping to get some insight from the experienced collectors out there, who have been really great about sharing this type of information.

If I end up passing on these, will forward the opportunity by providing location.

Now if you say, oh you don't want those, but where are they? You might make me pounce on them anyway... :D :D :D

Know there have been a relatively large number of NR and KNR "D" marked New Model Single Sixes out there, over 200 per Reference of Ruger Firearms. Yup I keep plugging this shamelessly, but it has saved me from making bad decisions ($$$) multiple times, and has helped me find some unexpected gems too. So my way of saying thanks for Chad A.K.A Chet's efforts!

Looking forward to what you guys have to say...

SteelShooter:
Be sure to send me a PM on the catalog numbers and sn's of these.
Thanks!
Chet15

cubrock

Blackhawk
I used to own a couple D marked Old Models. When I sold them, I found they did not command nearly as much premium as I thought they would. Both were true shooter grade guns and sold for shooter grade prices. Like most other guns, condition, condition, condition will control the premium associated with the guns.

They are neat, for sure, but I wouldn't kick yourself if you pass on them. Duplicate guns aren't as universally collected as one might think.

They're a "niche collectible" item. Those "in the niche" have a little more appreciation for them than the rest of us. I would like to have one "just because" but I certainly wouldn't pay much, if any, premium to get one.

JMHO

Ale-8(1) said:
They're a "niche collectible" item. Those "in the niche" have a little more appreciation for them than the rest of us. I would like to have one "just because" but I certainly wouldn't pay much, if any, premium to get one.

JMHO

I totally agree, after having my wife collect these off and on for all these years, never was able to get ANY kind of premium on their "resale",she sold them all off, EXCEPT for the new in the box MKI T678 D200006 she had for many years and a good friend got her the "other" RST numbered 200006, besides she has less in BOTH guns than a NEW MK III alone would cost. 8)

the "fun " is in the hunt, and gotta get them for a 'deal' usually stumble across them at any given show......thats how she found ALL of hers,except the last one "The Golden Palomino" got her for $175..good old Bill

DSCF0005.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
That's an amazing match-up, Dan! I'm shaking my head in disbelief.....but, my eyes are telling me "there they are".

In my opinion, the "D" guns' appeal is to the collector whom wants to "have it all". I have a couple of "D" guns in my collection and most are Bearcats. The "cream of the crop" at this particular moment, would be the very scarce "D" marked New Bearcat.....

361505850.jpg

I've not heard of or seen very many and this one certainly exhibits an "after the fact" hand stamping job on the s/n's D prefix.....

:D

flatgate

The fact that I, personally, wouldn't pay extra for one certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't stare in awe at them at a show. I appreciate the dedication it takes to come up with these and their "mates".

:) :) :)

cubrock

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1) said:
The fact that I, personally, wouldn't pay extra for one certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't stare in awe at them at a show. I appreciate the dedication it takes to come up with these and their "mates".

:) :) :)

I agree, there. Takes a fair amount of luck, too. :D

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
I've not heard of or seen very many and this one certainly exhibits an "after the fact" hand stamping job on the s/n's D prefix.....

:D

flatgate

Flatgate...don't forget, your asterisk marked New Bearcat was actually a duplicate sn also. :D
We've got the other one. :D :D
Chet15

hey is that really an "asterisk" or are they "chicken footprints.." 8)

(what is the 'foot' of a chicken called.... :?: :?:

lets see if you're "hen pecked", and they' track'.....oh,oh :shock:

Now where is Tom Turkey when we need him........... :roll:

Yes, Laura said the "D" is for 'Dan' or was it 'dear'??? beats me.... :wink:

sorry 'Steelshooter' for the rambling....anyway gotta really want them.

chet15

Hawkeye
There is an asterisk (something that really looks like an asterisk) and there is also what employee's called a "Crow's foot" which looked like a bird's track.

Latest posts