Maximum Buyback/Trade-in Program?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coogs

Maximum
Most of ya know I am kinda into the Maximum, a little! Well, after Max production ceased in 1983, yes 1983, there was supposedly a buyback/trade-in program. For years I have heard the rumor that if ya sent a Max in they would send you a Super, or, the would buy it back at full retail, I know that actually did happen, as the gentleman @ Ruger that instituted that was fired by WBR. He was pretty high up the food chain as WBR hired him back after a couple weeks or so, musta just been kind of a symbolic thing.
So, what the deal is, I am looking for someone, out there, that was actually involved in this program, if there is such a person. If the gun and/or paper work would be available, I'd really be interested if you would be willing to part with it. Even if your not willing, please contact me as I would love to know about it!
I have this posted on a couple of other forums............hope to find someone soon, thanks for lookin', Coogs.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I do not have any hard copy in the files, only the factory press kit from the Amber Estate, which includes glossy 8 1/2 by 11 photos........I recall the reported letter offering a replacement firearm if one returned the Maxi....... :)

Chief 101

Hunter
Maximum0001.jpg

I know this isn't what you were looking for and you likely have a copy but here is an April 1983 letter from Ruger.

Coogs

Maximum
As long I am on the subject of Maxi's, some of you out there have been kind enough to foward me you Max serial #'s. I appreciate that very much! Any one can PM or e-mail me a # and barrel length. All correspondence strictly confidential. I'm trying to establish 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" production #'s. If anybody knows their shipping/manufacture date please include it, thanks, Coogs.

Coogs

Maximum
Back from the land of Red Stripe, Red Stripe beer that is! took the wife down to Jamaica for 10 days for her birthday. Happy birthday to her! Hopefully didn't miss much........was hoping to get a little more input on my Max questions while I was gone.....so I'll bump this up. To those of you that sent me e-mails and pm's, thanks! I probably won't get around to responding until after the Stilllers win the Bowl!!!!!! Great to be home, Coogs.

chet15

Hawkeye
A lot of folks don't know that the front sight heights were also changed on the Maximum's for both the 7-1/2" and 10-1/2" lengths. Would eventually like to get a breakdown of where this occurred.
Chet15

Coogs

Maximum
That is one of the reasons I've been recording serial #'s. I haven't pinned it down yet.............and yet again, prbably never will, there is the ole' "parts bin" theory, ya know. Coogs.

Chief 101

Hunter
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun
See if this site is of any assistance...
guns.gif

chet15

Hawkeye
Coogs said:
That is one of the reasons I've been recording serial #'s. I haven't pinned it down yet.............and yet again, prbably never will, there is the ole' "parts bin" theory, ya know. Coogs.

The ones I took note of were on John Debrucque's Maximum display at one of the early Monroeville theme shows. He had all four variations there. The early Maximum front sights were taller than they needed to be, on both the 7-1/2" and 10-1/2". BNM7 #600-01181 has a high front blade and BNM7 #600-04448 has a short blade. For the BNM-10, sn 600-03503 had a high blade and 600-03421 is noted as a short blade, so guess that's where they changed on the 10-1/2". I don't have measurements of the blades though...at this point a person almost needs to look at them side by side, but they are rather noticeable.
The "subscriber" numbers were all 10-1/2" guns, and all assembled late so all of those do have the later short blade.
Chet15

Coogs said:
As long I am on the subject of Maxi's, some of you out there have been kind enough to foward me you Max serial #'s. I appreciate that very much! Any one can PM or e-mail me a # and barrel length. All correspondence strictly confidential. I'm trying to establish 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" production #'s. If anybody knows their shipping/manufacture date please include it, thanks, Coogs.

I have a couple. I will get that to you next week.

Coogs

Maximum
Thanks! And thank you to everyone else that I haven't got a chance to personally respond to..................keep 'em comin'.........Coogs.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Coogs, I finally had time to look through my stuff but couldn't find anything on the buy back. I did find a "variation" of the letter posted by chief 101, this one is two pages and dated 4 days earlier (you can almost hear WBR Sr. rejecting this version and saying "Squeeze in onto a single sheet to save printing & distribution costs!").

Max-Letter-Pg1.jpg

Max-Letter-Pg2.jpg