Maximum Buyback/Trade-in Program?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Jack Behn told me that the issue and conditions noted, materialized after Remington changed their ammunition..........Further/Thus, the noted issues did not occur in or during extended INITIALl testing. Thompson contenders(closed breech) and Dan Wesson's revolvers(tightly regulated breech) did not display these Ruger noted conditions.

Dan in MI

Staff member
It was claimed the max was based on one of his original supermag designs. Changed just "enough." Then when Ruger stopped production The Silhouette gloated stating how his revolver design included a longer cyl that Ruger rejected. The reason why DW's and Sevilles lived and Ruger didn't.

I can probably find something in writing if I dig far enough.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
It was claimed the max was based on one of his original supermag designs. Changed just "enough." Then when Ruger stopped production The Silhouette gloated stating how his revolver design included a longer cyl that Ruger rejected. The reason why DW's and Sevilles lived and Ruger didn't.

I can probably find something in writing if I dig far enough.

Aren't you speaking of the .375 Super Mag which came out about the same time?
Chet15

Dan in MI

Staff member
Nope. I dug out one of my old silhouette books there's four or five pages just on this topic. There's even a copy of an apology from Remingnton for not giving proper credit.

There's a pic of a sketch made by Elgin in 1975 and the whole story of how he hawked it at the '76 SHOT show with no takers.

The book "Shooting Steel" (black with an orange chicken at impact on the cover) it's basically a compilation of articles from "The Sihouette," has sections on both the 357, and 375 Super Mags. I didn't look for the 414 and 445, but I am sure they are mentioned.

Coogs

Maximum
The Ruger Maximum demise is a virtual "soap opera" of events. The longer cylinder would have helped a bit, but.......the biggest problem was trying to push lightweight bullets, 158gr and smaller, as fast as possible with fast burning powders. The top strap cutting has proven to be a non-issue, as it subsides and literally quits after a 1000 rds or so, throat erosion is still somewhat of a problem, if you stay with fast, lightweight bullets and fast burning powders. Ruger aleviated that somewhat when they change the degree of the forcing cone. At what point in production that happened I haven't been able to pin down yet. If you stay big and slow, 180+ and 4227, you will do well.A few "know all" writers helped the demise along.............there is alot more to this story.........and I'm finding out more every day! :wink: More to come.........................Coogs.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Dan in MI said:
Nope. I dug out one of my old silhouette books there's four or five pages just on this topic. There's even a copy of an apology from Remingnton for not giving proper credit.

There's a pic of a sketch made by Elgin in 1975 and the whole story of how he hawked it at the '76 SHOT show with no takers.

The book "Shooting Steel" (black with an orange chicken at impact on the cover) it's basically a compilation of articles from "The Sihouette," has sections on both the 357, and 375 Super Mags. I didn't look for the 414 and 445, but I am sure they are mentioned.

There is a lengthy article by Gates on silhouette cartridges, including all his Super Mags, in the 6th Edition of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD. I don't know anything about him personally, but the way he wrote that article, it would appear he had no ego shortage. Interesting reading, besides.

Chief 101

Hunter
cubrock said:
Dan in MI said:

There is a lengthy article by Gates on silhouette cartridges, including all his Super Mags, in the 6th Edition of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD. I don't know anything about him personally, but the way he wrote that article, it would appear he had no ego shortage. Interesting reading, besides.
Yea, Mr Gates had no shortage of ego, he was shooter and leader and deserves a lot of credit. Ego plays a large part in the shooting sports...you can't survive without it.
guns.gif

Coogs

Maximum
It's been a while.........so I'll bump this up, still lookin', always lookin' for that Max stuff!!! I'd like to thank all those that have responded in one way or another...........and thanks to all those that have clued me into where to find some stuff..............couldn't have done it without you!!!!!! Thanks again, Coogs.

flatgate

Hawkeye
FWIW, I've had 7-1/2" and 10-1/2" maxis as shooters. (BNM-7 was my FIRST RUGER). I used Extruded powder, 180 grain bullets and had a great time. I figured out that MY personal handgunning goals weren't satisfied with that caliber.

I went bigger. My second Ruger was a "Liberty" marked .45 cal. Blackhawk.
I still have it and it shoots great. (Yes, I had the throats reamed at the proper size for hard cast bullets in the 300 grain range.)

flatgate

Coogs

Maximum
Bumpity bump!!! It's been a while............so I'll bring it back up. Still lookin for those Max Numbers! Also lookin' for Max serial Numbers 00031, 00033, 00107, 00109, 10987, 11588.........even if they have been converted, I'd like to know........PM or E-mail if you would like, thanks for lookin', Coogs.

Latest posts