Info on Bearcat with 2 cyl in 22 lr and 22 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dbl Auto

Single-Sixer
A friend saw a Ruger beatcat at Ohio Gun Collectors show this weekend. I know they are not often seen. The price was $1,200ish for a NIB example. I think one of the rugerforum experts had his hands on it as well. I saw one on Jaquas Fine guns in Findlay, Ohio website some time ago and it sold quick at $950ish. I would like to hear what the board has to offer on what to look for, what is a buy it price, and details on this unique offering of the bearcat.
Thanks
Doug

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, they ARE scarce. IIRC, Ruger shipped just about 1,000 of them and soon thereafter issued a "Recall" on the .22 Magnum cylinders. I estimate that around half of the Magnum cylinders were "turned in" for the rebate $.

These facts make the New Bearcat Convertible a rather rare gun. The values have risen to the over $1K range. Me? Oh, gosh, I kinda got wound up over them...

I ended up with three of the little buggers and, by golly, they make up a "triple consecutive set".

128516925.jpg

flatgate

PS Those attending the "next weekend" show in Boise just may get a glimpse of them.... :D

Doug, we were set up there (as usual) and seen and heard about some of the Rugers that were there, seemed a bit high to us, and from what we heard, none of them sold,not even the Hawkeye with the 3 barrels down the end of our row for $1600 but oh well, no need for a project gun.....yes, the NewBearcat ,in a convertible is kinda neat, we've had way MORE than our share of them ( 5) all 3 digit numbers too, but never sold one for more than $750 and traded one for TWO Vaqueros once ( they set the swap)
all depends on just "How bad" ( the pucker factor) you have to have one...same for that 22 Mag 10/22 that was there,last one we sold was $550...........
All in all it was a pretty good show, had a couple of 2 and 3 digit RSS's at our table, nice stuff to look at ,BUT...............(we didn;t buy any...)

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Dan, I guess you are right about 750 for the NM BC's prices.....if I add the 2 up I have bought from you and divide by 2 it equals 750.....600 + 900 = 1500 /2 = 750......the first was a 4 digit and the second was 3 digit........I did sell the first one to a guy who REALLY wanted one BAD....I told him I had one but it was priced 1500 to scare him away...... but it didn't work so I sold it.....and bought the second from you...sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow....

Hey I really liked the 2 digit RSS :lol: :lol: :lol: and the guy that had it was certainly a handsome gentleman :roll: :roll: :roll: see ya RR.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Dan
Did you see the 3" and 4" SP101's in 32 H&R at the show? Nice condition and reasonably priced at $400 each.

Ed

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
The only one of these that I have retained, has two 22 cylinders and one original 22 mag cylinder. Is documented that way and has a history at Ruger. Came from a private collection brokered by Ron Peterson, Albuquerqe, NM Firearms Dealer. :D Recall a cost of $900 some three years ago.

Splitz, there was one a few shows back, a convertible, the seller was "askin" LOTS ( lie $1200 but we talked with the guy who we happen to knwo and his buddy told me he got it for $900 that he "offered"

Yes, MIShooter we saw the good deals on those 32s as well as some others in 22, and they sold pretty cheap, one guy offered to "swap" me his 22 SP101 for the 357 snubby we had on the table for $450..........