1956 Flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
Ok so after complaining there aren't many old models around here I just bought a non-upgraded '56 flatgate #47546 with issues for a few hundred bucks. Looks like bluing removed, incorrect stocks and a possible cylinder base pin issue (from the picture) It's coming from Ontario so I only have these two pics so far. Any input as to what to do with it (if anything) other than shoot it?

Mike

Rugerflatgate56lt.jpg

Rugerflatgate56rt.jpg

G2

Hunter
Ohhh you could spend some money and restore it, but then you have a nice restored flatgate that does the same thing it will do when you get it.

Me... I would tear it down, cleen it, inspect all the parts and R/R any that need some attention, re-assemble and enjoy it.

I have a very similar gun (sn#309XX) and keep swaying back and forth about having it engraved similar to the RSSE and then have a nice shooter engraved flatgate that will look good and shoot like it did before I had it engraved. :shock:

Looks like it's been well used, these day's some pay extra for that look.

Not much help..... was I. :wink:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
G2 said:
Ohhh you could spend some money and restore it, but then you have a nice restored flatgate that does the same thing it will do when you get it.

Me... I would tear it down, cleen it, inspect all the parts and R/R any that need some attention, re-assemble and enjoy it.

I have a very similar gun (sn#309XX) and keep swaying back and forth about having it engraved similar to the RSSE and then have a nice shooter engraved flatgate that will look good and shoot like it did before I had it engraved. :shock:

Looks like it's been well used, these day's some pay extra for that look.

Not much help..... was I. :wink:

I'm liking what you say. I like to tinker a bit but wouldn't want to mess too much with one of my more pristine guns. Might be nice to learn with this one and get to know the Ruger a little better. I will want to find sme black rubber stocks at some point if anyone knows where to look.

mike

I got one in just about the same condition late last year (except it isn't a flatgate) and after cleaning all the rust and pits off it I sent it to John Gallagher and he is going to make it into a baby 41 Special. :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I found a "dog" of a ol' Single-Six. I searched and searched and came up with a OM 9-1/2" .22 barrel and had a 7-1/2" Flatgate made up.....

332247836.jpg

It shoots quite well! :D

flatgate

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
I found a "dog" of a ol' Single-Six. I searched and searched and came up with a OM 9-1/2" .22 barrel and had a 7-1/2" Flatgate made up.....

332247836.jpg

It shoots quite well! :D

flatgate

Around here that "Dog" would be called a purebred. Woof!

BC Mike, clean it up ,find a "proper" base pin, and keep your eye out for any 'black hard rubber grips, I know that flatop44 and Jussbad BOTH have some for sale, so check with them or run an ad in the classifieds........that gun is what it is, and may cost more to redo it than its worth,BUT then again, there is NOTHING wrong with having NICE stuff either...any GOOD gunsmith/shop thats worth their 'salts' could redo that one for you....have no clue as to what is available up in BC these days......

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
BC Mike, clean it up ,find a "proper" base pin, and keep your eye out for any 'black hard rubber grips, I know that flatop44 and Jussbad BOTH have some for sale, so check with them or run an ad in the classifieds........that gun is what it is, and may cost more to redo it than its worth,BUT then again, there is NOTHING wrong with having NICE stuff either...any GOOD gunsmith/shop thats worth their 'salts' could redo that one for you....have no clue as to what is available up in BC these days......

Base pin now coming from a member and just checking to see if the '56 flatgate has the shiny medallions (do they??) as I have a line on those from a member as well. There is a trused gunsmith here who could do a proper job of rebluing. Will ponder that for a bit after checking internals, bore etc.

Mike

mike722

Buckeye
depending on the exact ship date, either the dull or shiny medallion grips would be proper.. If I remember correctly the switch-over to shiny medallions was about May-June 1956..

americal

Hunter
I really like to see flatgates in that condition--sure have a certain appeal to me--the right base pin & ruger rubber grips will help--sure to be a fun gun to shoot--It would be neat to make it into one like Flatgates---- a 7&1/2---- cool as it gets for a custom gun that looks like a factory gun :)

davidh5000

Bearcat
BC Mike said:
G2 said:
I will want to find sme black rubber stocks at some point if anyone knows where to look.

mike

I just bought a pair of the dull eagle grips from flattop44 for a 1954 flatgate. Last I knew jussbad had 2 pair of those for sale. you need to know if the gun was made after mid 1956 to know which medallions it used. I would PM them for grips.

After seeing the picture of your flatgate with the way it looks it makes me want to look for one in that condition and put the old Franzite fake stags on it that came off my other flatgate. It would give it that old Colt SAA look. Not to mentiom a reason to buy another flatgate :twisted:

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
davidh5000 said:
BC Mike said:
G2 said:
I will want to find sme black rubber stocks at some point if anyone knows where to look.

mike

I just bought a pair of the dull eagle grips from flattop44 for a 1954 flatgate. Last I knew jussbad had 2 pair of those for sale. you need to know if the gun was made after mid 1956 to know which medallions it used. I would PM them for grips.

After seeing the picture of your flatgate with the way it looks it makes me want to look for one in that condition and put the old Franzite fake stags on it that came off my other flatgate. It would give it that old Colt SAA look. Not to mentiom a reason to buy another flatgate :twisted:

I like the gun as is but I will be refinishing it as I have a correct base pin and also corrct stocks now coming and an assurance from a trusted local gunsmithwho is an Old Model buff that he can make this flatgate look factory fresh with proper bluing without losing the crisp roll marks. I will do a before and after picture presentation at some point.

mike

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
flatgate said:

I remember that barrel! I want it back... you can just leave all that other stuff bolted onto it and send it out!

So what's with the eight cartridges? Turn it into a nine-shooter didja? Load one, skip one, load seven...

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
As promised some pics of the old flatgate now with correct grips and base pin thanks to two members here. After some thought I don't think I will refinish this old gal. She has been ridden hard and put away wet as they say and is a little loose. I will use it as a shooter and at some point will take it apart completely and just clean off the grime and rust I'm sure are lurking in places usually best left alone.

Mike

006-4.jpg

007-2.jpg

009-4.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

021-2.jpg

023-2.jpg

025.jpg

027-1.jpg

031-1.jpg