Stamping irregularities

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XLIV

Single-Sixer
As usual I like to don the jeweler's "eyes" and comb over every nano inch and found this irregularity in the u and g. Is it from a broken stamp or perhaps a grit or two got in the way.?

21ccopz.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd not get my "panites in a wad" over something like that. Yup, the rolldie goofed up. As a "died in the wool" collector, however, I'd not get excited about the error.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure other collectors will offer other opinions.

JMHO,

flatgate

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Cool..

.."Monday guns"

(Don't say "died in the wool" to an undertaker..means more work)

Dyed in the wool 44

chet15

Hawkeye
XLIV said:
As usual I like to don the jeweler's "eyes" and comb over every nano inch and found this irregularity in the u and g. Is it from a broken stamp or perhaps a grit or two got in the way.?

21ccopz.jpg

Yes...the rolldie is broke. If there was somthing on top of the letter before being rolled, you'd still have a blurry image of something being stamped with the rest of those letters.
Is this off a late .44 flattop?
Chet15

I agree with Chet15, probably "hit" a burr or metal chip on the gun "before" and took out the dies 'protrusion' ( the letter is actually raised).........when these frames and parts are 'cast' there could have been a piece of hardened slag mixed in and got on the 'other' frame first...........yes, these things ( anomolies) are quite common in manufacturing, and my bet is it was a "Friday" gun........... 8) (both days are bad ones for manufacturing)

43north

Bearcat
I think it's a forgery and you should send it to me. I'll turn it over to the USP&TO for investigation. Honestly.

Sooner or later.

chet15

Hawkeye
XLIV said:
# 29176..

Would they use only one rolldie until it broke or were there several used at one time?

If the rolldie wasn't complete destroyed and had only wear, Ruger would keep the old ones in their supply in case something drastic happened to the one they were using. There were at least five different non-Inc. address rolldies and several of these were used at different periods in history.
On your #29176 I had a hunch this might have been a late gun. Does anybody else's rollmark look the same on their late flattop?
I'm also curious if those few Super Blackhawks known in the 22xxx to 30xxx range with .44 BLACKHAWK rollmarks have the same broken rolldie.
Chet15

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I have seen several of the Lipsey's .44 Bisley Blackhawks with this poorly stamped rollmark. Otherwise, it's probably the best fit and finished new Ruger that I have seen in a long time. You can really feel the raised surface around the "L" with your fingertip.
RugerBisley44Rollmarks.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Walter Rego said:
I have seen several of the Lipsey's .44 Bisley Blackhawks with this poorly stamped rollmark. Otherwise, it's probably the best fit and finished new Ruger that I have seen in a long time. You can really feel the raised surface around the "L" with your fingertip.
RugerBisley44Rollmarks.jpg

Yes, Ruger rollmarked it. But because the rest of the rollmark looks pretty even, the irregularity may have been in the rolldie itself which is provided by an outside vendor.
So...on the other hand you have to give Ruger some due there.
Chet15

Latest posts