44 spl old model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob D

Bearcat
I have an oppportunity to trade my New Model 44 Spl plus $125 for an old model blackhawk, not a flattop, conversion from .357 to 44 spl. I recognized the name of the person who did the work but my 66 yr old mind sometimes doesn't remember things from the past (yesterday) too well. It has a famous name barrel and a belt mountain base pin (fwiw).
I can always buy another new model. I'm undecided whether to grab this one. However my new model has a 4-5/8 unmarked barrel (from the factory) so it's kind of unique, and the old model has a 5-1/2 in barrel. I prefer the shorter barrel but the 5-1/2 is alright.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I would do the deal, if it were me. It would probably cost you at least 2 of those NM 44 specials just to pay for the custom work to convert the OM, and probably close to another one of those NMs to pay for the OM...

In my mind, you're getting into a custom gun for around 1/3 of its value.

I personally prefer the 5.5" barrel, so, to me, it would be a no brainer.

Again, that's just my $0.02

BB45C

Doc44

Single-Sixer
I would make the deal. I purchased this Hamilton Bowen conversion to 44 Special of a Blackhawk .357 dating to 1963 about a year ago and am very pleased with it.

Bill

orig.jpg

Go for it Bob! I just received an old model 357 to 44 Special conversion back form Alan Harton last week. He welded up a hole in the topstrap, CCH the frame and hammer, rebored the original barrel to 44 and installed a 44 height front sight, did a BP chamfer and reblued the frame after remarking and it was around $700 just for his work plus the months wait. That doesn't include Bowen sights, special grips nor refinishing the gripframe, NOR the base gun. If you can get a nice conversion for your gun and change, jump on it!

Bob D

Bearcat
Poor cell phone picture but here it is. It's a John Gallagher gun.

Gallagher44Spl007.jpg

I'll take some better ones tonight but I'm out to shoot it now. Wonderful trigger.

Ironically, John is doing a Skeeter Skelton/John Taffin SS4 gun for me in 44 Special right now and he did my old model 44 Special conversion with the brass bisley gripframe. He does great work.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bob, I'd do the deal but keep your NM 44 with the unmarked barrel! Pick up another NM to trade with. You can still find them on-line for as low as $449.

Freshen up the conversion with a new steel ejector rod hsg and maybe even a grip frame as well. Either a new XR3 or Old Army steel OM frame from Brownell's. The extra wieght will soften the recoil too.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Bob D said:
my new model has a 4-5/8 unmarked barrel (from the factory)

?? What? No markings at all on the barrel??? Is the front sight a Ruger style?

Very interesting! Can you get some verification from the Factory, i.e. do they have any sort of records about the gun?

Curious,

flatgate