Bill Ruger's Excellent Adventure

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So I finally had a little time to try out the film scanning capability on my scanner, and got a few of the pictures digitized from that roll of developed negatives found in the WBR desk loot. Scanner would not cooperate when I tried the next chunk, so I gave up for the night. But here's what I found so far. These are in the order as they appeared on the film and it looks like a road trip to San Fran back in the 50's. But I have no idea whether I'm working from the back end of the roll or from the beginning, so this might be the opposite order from when they were taken. That is his roadster with the CT vanity plate reading "GUNS". And the movie on the theater marquee is "Annie Get Your Gun", which according to Wikipedia came out in 1950. Don't know who the dude is - anybody recognize him?

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

I'll add more if I can get the scanner working again. There are probably over a dozen more shots on the roll.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
WOW! What a trip back in time. The cars sure look to be 1950. Don't have a clue on the gentleman. wonder where all the oil derricks picture was taken?
I think that "Annie" was the one with Barbara Stanwyck in it?

chet15

Hawkeye
Wasn't there an NRA show in San Francisco in the '50's? Most of them were in Washington DC but I'm thinking there was one in SF during that period.
Chet15

chopprs

Single-Sixer
"G U N S"
VERY kewl!!!
That is a Jaguar XK-120. I believe it was the first mass produced car to do 120mph. They are worth stupid money today. I went to a car show this past summer and there were several there, even one that was used by Jaguar for land speed record trials that is literally a million dollar car. I wanted to steal it really bad! :)
I am diggin' the old Studebaker and the "Woody" in the first pic too....

ps, do you think DMV would let us have a plate like that today????

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
El Numero Uno said:

Betty Hutton & Howard Keel. If you squint, you can make out those names on the second line of the Nob Hill Theatre marquee in the 3rd pic.

According to the wiki, it was supposed to have starred Judy Garland but she had to withdraw due to illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Get_Your_Gun_%28film%29

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
chopprs said:
"ps, do you think DMV would let us have a plate like that today????

Vermont let me have "SIXGUNS" for my truck.

The guy who took my application for the plate said he didn't think they would approve it because it was too "aggressive". But then a woman looked over his shoulder and said, "Well they certainly won't approve his alternate choice - that's OBSCENE!!!".

My alternate choice was "3 SCREW".

Ultimately, I guess they decided they state needed the money worse than it needed to play PC enforcer.

chopprs

Single-Sixer
Well sometimes the 68 year old lady who is looking at the plate applications and approving or disaproving them misses something.
I have a bud that has "S M E G M A" on his white Harley plate. I think that 68 year old lady may have been fired because after he had the plate for over two years he got a letter from DMV that said he needed to surrender it......oopsie! :)
Actually, he blames me because I have another bud that has a white 64 Corvette with a red interior that has the same plate. His state plate is white with red letters. I told the story and now it is all my fault.....

flatgate

Hawkeye
My soon to be resurrected CJ-5 wears a long expired JEEP plate. I doubt I can get the old one again.....

357823121.jpg

When camping at the above location, one brings skis, canoes, large calibre guns and fishing poles. :D

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
That last pic looks very much like Pacific Coast Highway in Huntington Beach during that period with oil wells lining the inland side of the road. We were paying about 15 cents a gallon in SoCal back then since the oil was pumped and refined locally. Now that area is all condos and the Californians are paying 3 bucks plus a gallon. Oh, and parking meters now flank both side of the highway.

mattsbox99

Hunter
weaselmeatgravy said:
chopprs said:
"ps, do you think DMV would let us have a plate like that today????

Vermont let me have "SIXGUNS" for my truck.

The guy who took my application for the plate said he didn't think they would approve it because it was too "aggressive". But then a woman looked over his shoulder and said, "Well they certainly won't approve his alternate choice - that's OBSCENE!!!".

My alternate choice was "3 SCREW".

Ultimately, I guess they decided they state needed the money worse than it needed to play PC enforcer.

I have 44 MAG and 10MM, a couple of friends have 3GUNNR, GTGLCK, LEVRGUN, and GUNMAN. I've seen a few others too.

Very cool photos!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I wish I could get the scanner to work again for the next batch of photos on that spool. I've tried twice since with no further luck. One of the next pics is of working oil wells, there is one ocean shot with waves showing, and further in there are what appear to be pics of a woman in a head scarf sitting in the roadster. This may be why Bill kept the roll of film in his desk at work... He and Mary were divorced in 1947 and then re-married 10 years later. So just no telling who the mystery woman of 1950 might be!

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
El Numero Uno said:
WOW! What a trip back in time. The cars sure look to be 1950. Don't have a clue on the gentleman. wonder where all the oil derricks picture was taken?

My guess would be Bakersfield. But then thats down just north of LA. :?

Latest posts