Is it 'real' or ONLY on memorex.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gotta wait till monday to find out.....came to us at the show today,but alas, NO shipping sleeve to help answer the question..........

BKH44XB45-21051end.jpg

the number falls right in between two listed in JDs new book........ :roll:

also picked up a 'mint' redhawk 5-1/2 in stainless .357 mag too......

contender

Ruger Guru
Convertable, shortie, brassie, boxed,, WOW!!!!! If it letters,, a very, very good find. If not,, still an excellent find.

Don, you know I would in a heartbeat............

my bet is that it letters as a convertible ONLY...........another, "
sum of the total of all the parts......" Its still awesome though.......

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Nice looking gun, but I'm with you Dan on betting it letters as an "X" and not a "B", but that doesn't mean it didn't ship that way. I suspect there were quite a few of these shipped like this. I kick myself for not buying the same package 8-9 years ago for something like $350 because it "only" lettered as a convertible.

It just sure seems like a LOT of shops over the years ( back then) put brass frames on a bunch of guns for no other reason, than to move them??? OR by chance ,did Elmer Keith get that many folks back then to 'spring' for LARGE grips on "short" guns????
I could "see/ understand" shops putting different grips on guns to "make the sale" but to change out the enitire frame, and have to get other 'grips, as the "parts" didn't come with a set of grips, seems like a LOT of work for little money back then,as the brass frames "set" was $8.50 and the grips were???how much?? hhmmm.............

MOST gun shops we knew of back then could not and would NOT be 'bothered', I think the factory put on more than they're letting on .
either 'new, point of sale, or return for service work, install frames.....hell, where are all of the old model frames that were 'left over' at any given shop.
Oh well glad we don't "collect" these, that would drive me crazy, as well as 'broke'........ :roll:

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I think a lot of folks put them on themselves. Remember, Ruger was really trying to get rid of those brass gripframes in late 72 when they knew that they were going to the NMs.

A lot of people like that larger gripframe for those larger caliber, and thus higher recoiling, sixguns.

That being said, I too believe that there were some convertibles shipped that way from Ruger, I just don't think Ruger was prepared, from a cataloguing perspective, for a BKH44XB...

I just don't see any logical reason as to why they would only put brass gripframes on single cylinder guns. They had to put them on convertibles, it just makes sense.

I also only seem to see brass frame convertibles on the 45s and not the 357s, not sure why as there were MANY, MANY more convertible 357s than 45s.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

update, well got the info from records, that this gun was shipped November 1972 as a BKH44X, .45 Colt, .45 acp, no mention as to the frame being brass or not.......
well, now does one keep it as it is? or put'er back to what they claim should be "original'........??? hhhmmm........