Factory Nickle Plated T-514?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RST-4

Bearcat
Im at the topeka gun show and a guy walked up with what he says is a nickle Plated T-514. SN#28642. Did I just pass up the deal of a lifetime?

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I would call the factory and see if it letters as such. If the seller really thinks he has something I am sure he has already done so and know the true answer if it HAS or Not been plated by the factory. without a factory letter sombody just ruined a highly collectible Mark 1. What was his asking price?

These things always seem to pop up at shows on the weekend when you can't call TheFactory and check 'em out.

Not saying that it's done intentionally, just that it's a truth of the gun show scene.

:(

chet15

Hawkeye
Never heard of a factory plated 514 in my travels, but doesn't mean they didn't make some.
Plating though was no longer listed in Ruger's literature for the autos by the time the T514 came out.
Chet15

RST-4

Bearcat
Thanks for the remarks, folks. I'll give an update. The seller never would give me a price, but he kept telling me it was worth quite a bit and he needed money to fix his truck. I never gave him an offer, so he went on. That is when I had a friend put up the original post for me with his phone. I never found anything about a plated 514 in the few books and time I had.

Well, the guy cought back up with me later, and finally gave me a price (which wasn't near as high as the dollar figures he kept telling me it was worth earlier), so I decided to buy it. The seller said he bought it back in the early 80's from Little Johns Auction Service in Colorado.

I will check with Ruger records today, if I get time.

It actually looks more shiney than a couple other nickel plated guns I compared it too. They have more of a dull yellowish color to them. This 514 looks like a bright stainless. I am wondering if it is chrome plated, not nickel.

I'll let you all know if I find out anything from Ruger. If nothing else, it is a different looking 514.

Thanks,
RST-4

radicalrod

Hunter
Well after walking around the show he was softened up for you.....others gave him a reality check.......I have a chromed Red Eagle that I bought reasonable even though it won't letter I am happy to have it....I love it when they have just enough info to be dangerous.....why bother to check facts....that could ruin a good line of BS.....glad things worked out for you and even better if Ruger says YA not NA.....see ya RR.