Winchester 1886 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

krw

Blackhawk
Seems as this bunch has a broad variety of knowledge on different firearms. A buddy of mine stopped by the house and wants me to help him sell a rifle. He drags out a Winchester 1886, that was made in 1895. 45-90, octagon bbl., takedown model. I consider myself capable of grading firearms, but this rifle is 115yrs. old. Bluebook says all 1886's were color case hardened till 1901, then they went to Blue. No original finish left on receiver. Bore is shiney with visible riflings. Rifle will function and shoot. Wood has handling marks but no major dingers or gouge marks of any kind. I am alot more the Sanford&Son type trader and this is out of my league. I explained to him the rifle was worth what someone is willing to pay. Just because someone told him it was worth XThousand dollars it is not until someone is willing to pay that amount. Does anyone on here have a pretty good knowledge of 86's. Now I know everyone will want pictures posted. Us Arkansas chicken farmers never were the sharpest tool in the shed, but I will try to get some pics posted. Thank You krw

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Five years ago, almost to the day,(tomorrow) I sold one like you basically describe, for $1,835.......Uncommon caliber and flexible, as it will shoot both 45-70 and the longer 45-90. Granted, our economy is much different, but, there are still fewer of these '86's every year. Be patient........ 8) :wink:

doccash

Buckeye
Condition is everything. None of the takedown rifles were case hardened. Get an honest appraisal, could be a 5000.00 gun or a junker depending on condition or alterations. Dr.C