Red Eagle Grip Emblem Variation ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
I bought the top pair of grips at Tulsa and never noticed that the background was gold or copper color....I had a friend touch up the red paint on the top pair before I /he noticed the difference in the medallion......the bottom set is almost the way they should be......anyone ever seen a pair like this....the stud in back is also the same gold color....just askin....RR.

redeaglegrip.JPG

redeaglegrip2.JPG

redeaglegrip3.JPG

d findley

Single-Sixer
Hey Rod, I believe the plating is worn on that medallion. Those early medallions are plated. I don't know the exact process but I think they are copper plated before the shiney (nickel or silver) plate. That 2nd medallion is a little later version. Chad can shed some more light on this.

contender

Ruger Guru
I need an early medallion for a grip panel with the metal eustation,,,! Got a spare???
I think Don is correct. I've seen a faded one that was gold toned as well once.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Chad covered this earlier this year and I provided some pic's
to his post. Donny is correct (JMO) as to the fading & wear thought.
Two different types of medallions for sure, one "proud" & one "sunken"
I'm sure chad will remember the post.
Terry

Almost makes me wonder if after the copper plating they didn't inadvertantly skip the final chrome plating. Or perhaps it was intentional due to the two scratches running across the surface.

One would think that the back side (stud) wouldn't have received much, if any, wear . . . which would support my supposition.

Unique, fascinating thing.

:)

chet15

Hawkeye
If you take the medallion out of the grip Rod you'll be able to tell if the medallion was originally plated or not. That though is the color I remember when the chrome wears away from the medallion. Those early medallions with the enamal baked on type red eagle are two piece, with the stem brazed to the medallion portion. This is the reason many of the eariest autos are found without medallions...the stem broke off and out came the medallion.
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
I just realized that the bottom grip is one that had lost the medallion and was replaced with a Single Six medallion.....looks better than an empty hole!!!! looks like I need to find another set of early grips :lol: :lol: :lol: See ya, RR.