Gotta couple of new autos in today........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I gotta thank FREDRX for posting the link to the auction for 0449 red eagle......I got out my black book and about PEE'd my pants when I saw I had 0448....my ONLY PAIR of consecutive RED EAGLES......well I may have been able to buy it for a little less but I just couldn't take a chance and hit the "BUY IT NOW" button.....also got in the little CHROME AUTO this week.....my buddy Dale D saw it at a show in MN and snagged it for me.....I love it when it all works out....RR.

PC030298.JPG

PC030301.JPG

PC030300.JPG

PC030302.JPG

PC030303.JPG

PC030304.JPG

PC030305.JPG

street

Hunter
Great set of guns. Oh by the way it looks like 0449 has the wrong bolt. Or was it shipped late???

chet15

Hawkeye
A pair of good guns there Rod! There haven't been too many people that have been able to put a pair of those early 0xxx red eagles together.
The tie clip is the medium size...the only one of the three that has a 4-3/4" barrel (I know...but it is a miniature 4-3/4" barrel). the other two sizes Large and small have 6" barrels.
Chet15

radicalrod

Hunter
TA, it's not the "WRONG BOLT".....just a"REPLACEMENT BOLT" :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew that going in to the deal.....the bolt was the only weak link in the early auto's.....so I guess one with the "FIX" should be in a collection....that is most likely why it is in the later 2 piece box that happens to be numbered to the gun......I think I can live with this minor detail.....someday I will find a bolt to make it "CORRECT" :roll: :roll: :roll: thanks, see ya RR.

street

Hunter
radicalrod said:
TA, it's not the "WRONG BOLT".....just a"REPLACEMENT BOLT" :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew that going in to the deal.....the bolt was the only weak link in the early auto's.....so I guess one with the "FIX" should be in a collection....that is most likely why it is in the later 2 piece box that happens to be numbered to the gun......I think I can live with this minor detail.....someday I will find a bolt to make it "CORRECT" :roll: :roll: :roll: thanks, see ya RR.

RR, I have an extra bolt that I am getting a gunsmith to make me a firing pin for it. I found it at a gun show and when I looked at it I could see the tip was broken. I guess that's why it was for sale. Ruger guy recommended a gunsmith that he knows, to fix it, and I am in the process of getting it done now.

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
I think it's cool to have one with the original bolt and the other with the "replacement".

Kinda documents the actual series of events at the time.

JMHO
:)

radicalrod

Hunter
The bolt in 0449 is 1/2 blue and 1/2 white..... when were these in play???? YES I know I could look it up but..... :lol: :lol: :lol: it's a lot easier to just ask.....I guess I better call RUGER for a ship date....see ya RR.

Street, let me know when you want to sell it.....

radicalrod

Hunter
Just talked to the nice ladies in records and 0448 shipped NOV 1949 and 0449 shipped OCT 1949......so appears it went in for a repair at some later date.....kinda what I expected....see ya RR.

Ale-8(1)

Hawkeye
Dougan's book has a nice write-up covering the redesign of the bolt (and firing pin) on page 50, and a listing of some of the guns shipped in 1949 as well as some returned for service work in 1950 on page 344.

Fascinating stuff.

:)

LOTS of them were returned shortly after they were released because the original pin design was a "bad" one and broke quite easily, and if one sent the gun back for this repair, the bolt was automatically 'swapped" out for the newer, redesigned one, and yes, they were all in the white, at first, we have seen some of the early redone ones, and then later one they did the half polished off, all blued bolt, with the front end "buffed" off...as the two piece box is numbered as you say, our guess that would have been an early redone one,but after the hinged boxes of course,sooooooooo by then I'd venture to say the "half& half" bolt is proper,and of course there is NO way of knowing as service did NOT keep those records............
Walter is having a nightmare of a time with making those replacement firing pins as EACH one is "fitted" to the bolt, they were all hand made back then, and as said a very "piss poor design" the way they did it, WAY over engineered needlessly....the later change was needed, so do NOT dry fire those old early low numbered, all white, type 1 bolts......we "retired" all of ours some time ago..........by the way, the "best" of BOTH worlds is to take the newer bolt, weld it up ( the support slot) drill out the top, front and remove the support from a recoil assembly and you can "replicate" the LOOK< but maintain the newer pin design, for usage.........have'nt done or tried this one ourselves yet, but was shown a couple, years ago, by another gunsmith back east...........

street

Hunter
radicalrod said:
The bolt in 0449 is 1/2 blue and 1/2 white..... when were these in play???? YES I know I could look it up but..... :lol: :lol: :lol: it's a lot easier to just ask.....I guess I better call RUGER for a ship date....see ya RR.

Street, let me know when you want to sell it.....

The blue bolt started with type 8 Red Eagle, lowest serial number around 12214, should be around the middle of Jan. 1951.

chet15

Hawkeye
street said:
radicalrod said:
The blue bolt started with type 8 Red Eagle, lowest serial number around 12214, should be around the middle of Jan. 1951.

Yep...there weren't any "half and half" bolts earlier than this.
Makes me wonder if the Mark I that first started shipping in January 1951 didn't spur this last change.
An all-white bolt doesn't have the natural "protection" that a blue finish gives. I imagine Ruger decided to leave the front half in the white because when it slides back and forth during firing it would mar the finish on that front half if it were blue. And leaving the front half in the white helped the aesthetics.
Chet15