Large Handgun Storage Safe - Is there such thing?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
I'm sure I'm not the only guy out there in this situation; I've got a growing collection of hadguns that are currently stored in individual plastic cases stashed in my house.

I'm starting to look for my first fireproof gun safe to store my handguns in. What I've been seeing are small handgun safes for 1-2 handguns. The large safes are setup for rifle/shotgun storage.

I'd like to find a large rifle-sized case but with horizontal shelves for handguns that will hold many that I have room to grow into.....is there such thing?

Opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
It seems as though there are ALOT of manufactures of gun safes. Are there preferance regarding the best/most safe for the money that guys are happy with?

Thanks again!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My first safe was a big monster, 5' wide and 6' tall, about 30" deep and weighs 2000 pounds (literally a ton) empty. After paying to have that shipped from the manufacturer and then paying a guy with a 4-wheel drive forklift to bring it from the front of the house to the walk-in basement entry in back, and then wrestling it though a 36" wide door with 5 big friends (mind you, it was January and about 10 degrees out because it arrived in November and we had to wait 2 months for the ground to freeze before we could get it from the garage to the back of the house) and then scooting it around the basement on a pallet jack, I have been going with smaller safes as the need for more storage arises.

My recommendation is to see what brands are available from dealers as local as possible to you who do free delivery and installation/setup. My personal opinion is that they are all good enough to foil a casual smash-n-grab intruder, and none of them are good enough to foil a dedicated thief with knowledge, tools, and time.

radicalrod

Hunter
I happen to love FIRE PROOF FILING CABINETS......they work great for me....if you are just doing handguns....you can have a separate drawer for caliber or style or serial number :lol: :lol: :lol: 3 will fit in the same space as one safe....the most I have ever had to pay is 150 as most people don't want the heavy awkward things......RR.

winchester37

Single-Sixer
check out www.zanottiarmor.com they have a series of safes that come in peices for assembly, really easy to move and assemble. and, they have lots of options for interiors.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
A lot of safes have interiors that are removable. I would get whatever safe will fit your needs. Then it would be a simple matter of either building a shelving unit to fit the interior of the safe or most home improvement store offer all kinds of shelving units for closet organization. If you have a safe company build you anything that is not stock it will cost you way more than reconfiguring it yourself.

Another option is look for a safe with shelving brackets in it. I have a browning safe. It has what they call a convertible interior. You can set it up with shelves on one side and long guns on the other. But on both sides of the safe front and back are metal shelf brackets that accept the metal shelf clips like a book shelf. These brackets run top to bottom. If you find a safe like this you could get some extra shelf clips and cut some plywood for as many full width shelves you want.

Should be easy enough to retro fit any safe with the configuration to suit yor needs. If you are not handi enough to do it yourslf hire a local carpenter. A good carpenter should be able to build a unit to slip right in and fit perfectly. Just a thought. ps

Black Dog

Bearcat
Referring to WMG's post about using a pallet jack to move his large safe, the guy that delivered mine put about 40 used golf balls under the hollow bottom of the safe, which captured the balls and raised the safe just enough so that it did not scrape the floor, and just rolled it down the hall and into the closet where he took all the golf balls out and then bolted it to the floor. Said he had been doing it that way for years. Black Dog

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
winchester37 said:
check out www.zanottiarmor.com they have a series of safes that come in peices for assembly, really easy to move and assemble. and, they have lots of options for interiors.

That is a very clever idea.

BC Mike said:
winchester37 said:

That is a very clever idea.

The idea is good, and might save some money but the fireproofing I saw is 1200* for only 20 minutes. That's not enough for a total burn down house fire. I'd want at least 60 minutes.