New Variation...it has arrived !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc

Hawkeye
Well, it cost them money to get rid of the "S". What is the return on their investment? Surely they didn't think getting rid of the "S" would sell more guns. I just don't see any logic in the move.

It wasn't broke and they went and fixed it.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Is anyone here aware of (roughly) the percentage of Ruger's profits that come from Non Vaquero(or New Vaquero) single actions? Maybe they are trying to (as Chad has suggested) move in a new direction by symbolically leaving out the "S." Management or marketing strategies sometimes try to create the appearance of an old or obsolete idea in order to show that they are on the cutting edge of exciting new stuff(that we really don't need.) The "Hard 'R'" logos and some other recent products without the "S" are focused on the new "tacticool" stuff, and it might actualy be a good move from a profit/statistical standpoint. A few years down the road they might start marketing the old fashioned/ traditional look and feel of the single actions again. There is a lot more competition by the other quality single action companies now than there used to be, and it probably doesn't look good to have Ruger single actions being compared negatively to others, even if they are priced much higher. It would be interesting to see what Ruger could do if they decided to try to take back market share from BFR, Freedom Arms, etc. by tightening up the tolerances and producing much higher quality single actions. I still like the Old Models, and they suit my needs fine. :?:

caryc

Hawkeye
BlackEagle said:
Is anyone here aware of (roughly) the percentage of Ruger's profits that come from Non Vaquero(or New Vaquero) single actions? Maybe they are trying to (as Chad has suggested) move in a new direction by symbolically leaving out the "S." Management or marketing strategies sometimes try to create the appearance of an old or obsolete idea in order to show that they are on the cutting edge of exciting new stuff(that we really don't need.) The "Hard 'R'" logos and some other recent products without the "S" are focused on the new "tacticool" stuff, and it might actualy be a good move from a profit/statistical standpoint. A few years down the road they might start marketing the old fashioned/ traditional look and feel of the single actions again. There is a lot more competition by the other quality single action companies now than there used to be, and it probably doesn't look good to have Ruger single actions being compared negatively to others, even if they are priced much higher. It would be interesting to see what Ruger could do if they decided to try to take back market share from BFR, Freedom Arms, etc. by tightening up the tolerances and producing much higher quality single actions. I still like the Old Models, and they suit my needs fine. :?:

I don't know what kind of crowd you run with but there are certainly still plenty of people out there that can not afford a Freedom Arms gun. Ruger fills that notch with guns people can afford. I don't think we have to worry about them going under anytime soon. They have been in business quite a few years.

cubrock

Blackhawk
Yeah, I doubt Ruger loses much, if any, market share to Magnum Research or Freedom Arms. That is comparing apples to oranges.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I can't afford them either and I wasn't trying to say Ruger might be going out of business. I was just speculating there might indeed be some marketing or management gimmick going on. An aggressive move by Ruger toward the "tacticool" market or against the higher quality single action outfits MIGHT make sense strategically. I was wondering how many non Vaquero-type single actions Ruger sells to be able to justfy continuing to produce them.

Enlighten me.

Are you speculating that Ruger sells more "non-Vaquero" single-actions . . . or fewer "non-Vaquero" single-actions?

I don't understand making that distinction in the overall product line. There are so many Blackhawk variations that I have to believe they outsell the Vaqueros by far.

:?:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I have no clue really. That's why I asked. My reasoning(guessing) was that the market for CAS guns is distinct from the market for single actions in general. Since these are durable, well built guns there is a significant market for used single actions. So perhaps it makes sense to try to gain some revenue by either focusing more on another "hot market" (tacticool) or trying to gain a little market share in the single action arena. This is pure speculation on my part. Maybe an interesting discussion...maybe not.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
and back to the original post.....I've started getting revolvers with the R logo also, so far only the "lock" guns. Look like it started a while back or either I have some late shipped guns. I see a NR-4FL with the spent envelope stamped Aug 3, 2010. I don't see any laminated gripped guns with only the R medallion. I'm sure that's coming soon.

One of the last places I worked before retiring, they hired the "consultants du jour" to "fix" the company.

The "cdj" insisted, among other things, that every trace of the "old corporate culture" had to be eliminated. This included doing away with a seventy-year-old trademarked brand name and logo in favor of a "Colsolidated Almagamated Universal Integrated Incorporated LLC" nomenclature that no one in their long-time market recognized.

By the time they got done "fixing" the company it had almost completely lost its way. And then the layoffs started . . .

:roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
Saw a Mark III .22 pistol yesterday with the "R" medallion, serial number 271-16056. There was also a Hunter model in the case with stainless grip frame sn 229-86650 that still has the SR medallion, but the change will be happening in the 229- autos also.
Scheel's was pretty much out of SA's but there were two NM Single-Sixes in there 265-22385 and 265-25597 that still had SR medallions.
Where's everybody else's reports?? I need to document the sn changes on these while the guns are fresh. Won't be as easy in a couple years.
Chet15

Lucky

Bearcat
I noticed that the Ruger logo had changed on the website a while back and used the "Tell the CEO" link on the Ruger website to ask why the "S" was abscent. To my suprise I received an email responce in about a day from the CEO or his proxy. He stated that they were obviously rebranding Ruger to make it more viable for the future and trying to market their products to a wider audience. Furthermore, he stated that they were concerned that consumers would be confused by seeing the name "Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc and hearing the firearms being referred to as "Rugers" as if they were two different companies. Although I've always simply used the name Ruger to describe my guns, I've never been confused by the two names. I really hate to see Sturm's name and his importance to the company taken away. I'd definetly like to see the S remain in the company logo. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, apparently we've been so "confused" by the "Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc" logo that we've not bought several zillion guns and made the company hugely successful.

I think it's simply pathetic.

:(

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Curious when the medallion will change on the other models. There's those on the Bearcats, the #1's, etc...

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I just noticed on the new #1 I picked up yesterday that the name on the barrel is now "Ruger, Newport, NH" and no longer "Strum, Ruger Southport, CT". Looks strange. Too bad they didn't eliminate the hokey warning on the barrel when they got rid of Sturm's name........