C&R License

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
I AM NOT a collector..
I AM NOT a collector...
And yet here I sit holding ATF form 7CR(5310.16)... So simple to complete and only $30 for three years... All the while thinking how cool it will be for those three screw flattops to come straight to my house. :shock: Maybe I could put some duct tape and JB weld on some of them and call them "Custom Revolvers" :D

bigbore45colt

Hunter
jimbo1096 said:
If you have a C&R and list your home as the address, does that allow the BATF to come in at any time to inspect your premise and pull your records like an FFL does?

No, it does not. C&R holders aren't subject to the same inspection requirements as dealers. ATF can call you and ask to come for an inspection. You can set up an appointment either at your house or at their offices. They can't come and inspect at any time. Dealers have to have posted hours and ATF can come and inspect during those posted hours (posted on your FFL application when you submit it). There are no hours for a C&R holder.

BB45C

mike722

Buckeye
best money you'll ever spend! just one transaction fee would pay for a 3 yr C/R.. but every now and again you'll run across a dealer who will refuse to ship to a C/R... but the educated dealers are more than happy too!!!

mike722 said:
best money you'll ever spend! just one transaction fee would pay for a 3 yr C/R.. but every now and again you'll run across a dealer who will refuse to ship to a C/R... but the educated dealers are more than happy too!!!

+1

And don't forget to send your C&R license info to Midway and Brownells for discounts on your orders. Not all mail order houses honor the C&R, but many do.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
And every year that passes, more nice collectable Rugers can be gotten with it, besides the ones that are already on the list or qualify due to the 50 year rule; worth every penny. Just wish it would allow you to ship as well as receive via the P.O., like a real FFL does; save a guy a lot of money on shipping.
HH

mattsbox99

Hunter
While it doesn't have the inspections and raids, you still have to maintain a logbook.

I agree though, best $30 you can spend, considering thats what you'll save just on the first transfer fee.

8pointer

Single-Sixer
As I understand it, C&R holders must keep a bound book record of purchases and "dispositions" (sales/transfers) of firearms. Is a new license holder required to record their pre-license collection in the bound book once the C&R license is acquired?

8pointer

Single-Sixer
Sam Johnson said:
8pointer,, NO Only those guns bought under the C & R lic are to be recorded in the book.

So if ATF shows up for an inspection and finds C&R eligible guns in your safe (or wherever) would you need documentation that they were purchased before you had the license?

I have a good friend with a C&R License who had an inspection a year or so ago....I believe the only C&R Licensee that I have ever known or heard of being inspected. The BATF Agent called, set up an appointment and went to my friend's house. He reviewed his Bound Book, selected a few guns from the book at random and asked to see them. My friend retrieved them from the safe and the agent was satisfied. Of course, a lot depends on the individual inspector. While having previous purchase records certainly could be beneficial I do not believe that it is a requirement. I have never read that listing a gun in your Bound Book requires that you have or maintain a purchase invoice so I would think the same would hold for pre-License owned property. Most of my gun purchases (and most folks I know) are cash and there ain't a whole lot of invoices filed away.
JM 2-cents worth FT44

Black Dog

Bearcat
I have a C&R license. At the end of the first 3-year term, I received, filled out, and sent back the renewal form with the $30 fee. About 3 weeks later, I had a call from a local female BATF agent who said she had to inspect my Bound Book. I said fine, I'll bring it to your office. She said no, she was in the field and I should just fax copies of the pages I had filled out to her office and she would look at it there. I did that. After several weeks went by, I called her back, confirmed that she had received the fax, asked her if there was a problem, and when she said no I said where's my license. She said this was the first time she had reviewed a C&R renewal and was waiting for instructions on what to do next. After several more weeks went by, I called her only to find out that she was out on indefinite medical leave unrelated to her job and nobody could find a file with my name on it. So, I called Atlanta, and a very nice lady said that she had no idea how the local agent received instructions to inspect my Bound Book, it was not necessary, and the license should have been routinely renewed, and she put it in the mail that day. Go figure. Black Dog

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have to comment that there is absolutely no sense in "renewing" a type 03 FFL. In fact, once your "Collectors" FFL expires, it is perfectly legal (and proper) to destroy your Bound Book records. Absolutely no requirement to preserve, turn in, or otherwise hang on to it.

Then, a few weeks later, it is exactly the same cost and procedure to apply for a new 03 FFL. Just check the box that asks if you've ever had any FFL in the past. Start a NEW Bound Book when your new license arrives.

For the question of "pre-license" C&R-eligible guns, I merely print out my inventory list, date & notarize it, and file it in case any question ever arises. None has.
- this is also good practice for insurance (private property) diligence.

No one has mentioned ? also, that if you EVER sell a handgun (while in possession of a "C&R" FFL) you are required by federal code to provide a copy of the 'YOUTH HANDGUN SAFETY ACT NOTICE
ATF 1 5300.2 (7-2004)" to the buyer at the time of sale. I have read that some ATFE regionals have decreed this applicable even with non-"C&R" handguns. Be safe rather than sorry!

03 FFL. A standard tool for any US Citizen firearms enthusiast!