#1B 7x57

Help Support Ruger Forum:

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased a #1B. It wasn't because of the wood or any other special appearance. But, it was a 130 prefix, pre-warning, and it was chambered in 7x57. When I got home, I went through some reference material and found no mention of the 1B being chambered in 7x57, at least not cataloged. The only mention is in Chad's reference guide, which says there were about 100 made. If so, what would be an approximate value, for insurance purposes. I have no plans on selling it, but am curious as to value. SN is 130-11309. Thanks for the enlightenment! :D

7mm08and7x57018.jpg

7mm08and7x57015.jpg

7mm08and7x57019.jpg

7mm08and7x57016.jpg

Dave :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: Mine is 130-13556 shipped August 1975. Like yours it's a red (Pink) pad with 2nd style checkering.

They were an uncataloged short run. The accepted number is 100 but that was the barrel run. There may have been a few lost in QC but there is no way of knowing.

I paid $940 for mine 5 years or so ago. Three years ago I'd have siad it was a $1000 - $1200 rifle. In this slump I'd come down a bit if I expected it to sell without a huge wait.

My guess now? $1000 but I wouldn't sell mine for that. It might be a long time before a guy ever sees another.

Ross

I'm with you Ross. This one isn't going anywhere. I was able to get it for $699 at a shop in Oregon, $709 after the background check.

I am currently updating my insurance coverage and appreciate the info!

Thanks,
Dave

chet15

Hawkeye
picketpin said:
Dave: Mine is 130-13556 shipped August 1975. Like yours it's a red (Pink) pad with 2nd style checkering.
Ross

Hey...I have 130-13557 noted as a 1B 6.5...the other major rarity at this time period. Would be awesome to pair those together!!
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Considering the price of a new #1 these days, as well as the thought that the 1B 7x57 is probably equal in rarity to the 1B in 6.5 (though the 6.5 will probably always get more interest), its tough to believe a 1B 7x57 wouldn't be up to at least the $1,500 level. Heck, its rarer than a dozen non-prefix configurations.
There are a lot more serious #1 collectors out there than other Ruger subjects, so I'm not sure any serious #1 collector would pass one of those up even at $1,500.
Chet15

picketpin

Buckeye
Chet15: So when did you want to send me that 6.5?? ;-)

I certainly thought $1599 was a reasonable number up until this crash/slump. It might and "should" bring $1500 still but I think it would take a while and would take a serious collector rather than a shooter to bring the price.

I have to admit I was tickled when I bought mine off GB at $940 and there were no other bidders for it. It was the first 7x57 "B" I had personally seen in 30 years.

My sad tail of the 6.5 Mag. Back before I actually collected I knew a guy that had a 6.5 Rem Mag "B" NIB. He hauled it to every gun show in the area with $650 on it. Offered it to me for $550. Finally swapped it to a guy in Oregon for about $500.

THEN I retired and got serious about researching and collecting #1s. Damn. Chris still teases me about that 6.5!! :)

It is amazing that yours and mine are consecutive and out of those two short runs.

Ross

$1500?? Darn, I got into mine right! Still won't sell it though.......

What is nice about being semi-knowledgable about these #1's, is that a LOT of shops are not. They seem to base the price on what they see in the "Blue Book". Good for us......I won't complain..... :D The only problem is that EVERY #1 in most cases is priced the same. Oh well, just have to do a little cherry picking, I guess. 8)

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: The 7mm Mag "V" I just bought was at a "fair" price. The one before that was $550 because the guy looked on the web and "That's what used 7mm Mags are bronging". He was so set on his price I relented and just gave it too him. ;-)

It's funny that the "not really knowing" works both ways. I seen some quite rare #1s undervalued due to lack of knowledge. On the other hand I have seen far more "Over valued" by guys/sellers/shops that know just about zero.

I don't argue and you aren't going to change their minds but I alwys womder where they get their "It's one of the rarest #1s ever made", "These are very very rare" You don't see many of these if ever.

I bite my tongue but am tempted to ask, so the 6mm "V" a rifle that was cataloged for 28 years is rare? A 300 Win Mag "S" from the 80s
is very very rare? A 25-06 "B" of no special time or checkering pattern is one you just don't see?

Ross

mattsbox99

Hunter
I think all No. 1 are rare, you just don't see them up here. The most I've ever seen were at a gun show in another town in October, about 10 total.

Ross, I am not going to complain too much about pricing of some of the number ones I have purchased in the last couple of years. I have done remarkably well on some and on the other hand have paid right at market value for a rifle I wanted.

Example, I paid $700+ for an 80's 1V in .223, simply because I wanted it. On the other hand, for the same money, I was able to get a "B" #1 non-prefix 22-250 WITH vertical splits!

So, in my opinion it all balances out in the end...... I am a bargain hunter, but occasionally pay a little more for something than if I had waited.

I will say, that it is still fun to find the unexpected treasure. Every time I go to a shop and see from a distance a #1, I can't wait to find out if it is another "gotta have" rifle. :D

Dave

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Heliman said:
Ross, I am not going to complain too much about pricing of some of the number ones I have purchased in the last couple of years. I have done remarkably well on some and on the other hand have paid right at market value for a rifle I wanted.

Example, I paid $700+ for an 80's 1V in .223, simply because I wanted it. On the other hand, for the same money, I was able to get a "B" #1 non-prefix 22-250 WITH vertical splits!

So, in my opinion it all balances out in the end...... I am a bargain hunter, but occasionally pay a little more for something than if I had waited.

I will say, that it is still fun to find the unexpected treasure. Every time I go to a shop and see from a distance a #1, I can't wait to find out if it is another "gotta have" rifle. :D

Dave
Hmmm, this sounds like someone I know :wink:
I too enjoy the "hunt" for number ones almost as much as filling a new hole in the collection. I also relate well to the bargain hunting philosophy; but will pay more than I should for something that sparks my interest.
My biggest coup in the last year was an early 4-digit BB 7mm Mag that I got for $575, BUT it came with a vintage Redfield 4-12 AO with range estimater, vertical rings, had knock-out wood, and when I researched it, it turned out to be one of the few non-prefix guns that had a duplicate serial number! I love firearm detective work 8)
I also bought one of the unmarked Lyman overrun 45-70s recently that cost me more than I normally like to pay, but I hope it will prove to be a good investment in the fullness of time, given that less than 40 exist out there.
I almost jumped on a mid-70's 1V 22-250 yesterday that had the original target bases and a "buy-it-now" for $595, but then I realized that I have a very early 130- V with the non-prefix attributes and Douglas barrel, so this gun would make no sense for me other than to resell, and I've gotten away from that game (distraction) in an effort to concentrate on acquiring what I really want.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Lance

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I have never seen a 6.5 Mag, but have seen 2 7x57s here in my area in the last few years. Both were non-prefix BBs; one at a gun show in Utica that had Redfield base attached to the rib and priced at $1800+, the other for sale at a shop about an hour from me that I saw on an auction site and by the time I called it was gone (had nice wood too :_(

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:shock: Dave, I've read this whole thread today, and I must say that if you bought that beater on the blue blanket pictured above for $700, you paid an unconcionable low price for it, and out of pure guilt you should bring it to Idaho in January and sell it to me for some other guilt washing figure to salve your spirit!!! In fact, in true Ruger helpfulness, I propose I pay you more than double what you gave for it, thereby taking all that foolishness guilt on myself....Now if you understand this offer, you've been watching too many Marx Brothers movies....Greg..Really a nice find and a whopping good deal for you!!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I love it when a guy goes from RSSE's to #1 and Model 77 rifles, seemingly in a heartbeat.......................Makes for a great collection. Anyway, that was and remains my excuse for such behavior. Nice to not be alone, RB. 8) SPLITZ

RugerBoi

Single-Sixer
:D Hey Mike, the sick thing is, I barely got those scrimshawd Rugers paid for when some "good deals" on rifles were creaping out of the woodwork! It seems like the less cash available at any one time the higher the likelyhood of a real nice collectible popping up! I find more and more that I'm on the $1 down and $1 a week program...with potato farmers and others who seem to find stuff they think I "need"...My lack of focus is a weakness for all the early, well made stuff that old Bill made. That and finding a stash that someone has been sitting on for years. I spent a wasted afternoon this week looking at drawers full of old Rugers a guy's dad had purchased for patterns for holsters and scabbards...You know the runofthemill junk with red eagle grips and flatgates and flattops, and 3 digit SNs...RB...Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm also keeping up an "Old Family Tradition" in getting in a market at the high end, buying heavy, and hanging on till it's all gone...or the gumment takes it...G

RugerBoi said:
:shock: Dave, I've read this whole thread today, and I must say that if you bought that beater on the blue blanket pictured above for $700, you paid an unconcionable low price for it, and out of pure guilt you should bring it to Idaho in January and sell it to me for some other guilt washing figure to salve your spirit!!! In fact, in true Ruger helpfulness, I propose I pay you more than double what you gave for it, thereby taking all that foolishness guilt on myself....Now if you understand this offer, you've been watching too many Marx Brothers movies....Greg..Really a nice find and a whopping good deal for you!!

Hey, Greg.....I'm afraid this one won't be for sale or trade for awhile. :D I have a fondness for this caliber and besides, it is going to be a part of my display. 8) Anyway, it will be there for you to look at......but uh..no drooling please. :roll:

Dave :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
There are probably about 75 non prefix "B"S and another 100 or less "B"s in the short/uncataloged run from 1974/1975.

I own the only prefix "B" I've ever run across and have never run across a Non-prefix 7x57, yet.

Dave: It should be fun, I also have mine in the display I'm putting together for Boise. It my "example" of 2nd checkering and a Pink pad.

;-)

Ross

Latest posts