357 Redhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djw54

Single-Sixer
Have the 357 Redhawks risen to collectible status yet?

How about a set of four, sequential, new in box? As far as I know, they are all the same barrel length, 5.5", but the owner didn't remember for sure.

Value? These will be available for sale. I don't own them, and I directed the owner this way, but don't know if she will follow up any time soon.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I managed to buy one NIB w/shipper for $578.79 total back in July and considered myself very lucky. It upgraded a non-boxed gun that I was able to sell for more. I'd put the value of a NIB gun at around $750, give or take.

They are rather rare but there may not be that many people looking for one, so if four of them popped up all at once, the short term supply might overshadow the immediate demand.

djw54

Single-Sixer
wmg,
Thanks for the response. I see your point about a sudden glut in a limited market. I would think these would particularly appeal to the hard core collector, being sequential.
Would she be any better off selling them as two sequential pairs, or just throw them on the market and see what happens?
Thanks.
Don

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I'm a big fan of penny auctions w/o reserves but in the case of multiple guns I've found that it doesn't work well as many people don't want, can't afford, or are afraid of the paperwork involved with multiple handgun purchases. I sold a matching number NIB 2 digit SP101 and NIB GP100 together that way and lost money on them (I think they only fetched a bit over $600 which was a heckuva deal for the buyer and left me crying in my beer).

So you might try listing them on GB as a set of 4 with a starting bid of whatever she feels she can live with if there is only one bidder, and no reserve. If no sale after a couple of tries, then maybe break them into two pairs at half the price of the four.

There was a guy with five consecutive NIB Colorado Centennial Single Sixes a few years ago trying to sell all 5 together and I recall seeing the ad over and over again for months. I think he finally split them up, but I really don't remember. There are not many New Model collectors and even fewer double action collectors. And of the DA collectors, not many are serious about Redhawks, most are looking for the earlier -Six series guns. Then how many of the handful of Redhawk collectors have $3K to burn right before the holidays in this economy?

.357 Redhawks are real prizes but they are not Lays potato chips, if ya know what I mean (most folks can stop at just one).

reakin

Single-Sixer
And from the shooter's side of the fence, a lot of people want a 357 Redhawk, but most are not willing/able to pay collector's level pricing for them.

reakin

How about listing them one at a time and mentioning in the description that there are 4, sequentially numbered if the buyer is interested in a pair or more to contact seller at end of auction? That way you can expand your buyer base. Or do a dutch auction if they have them on GB.
Just thinking out loud.

djw54

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies all. I'll pass along the information.
I completely sympathize with the shooter mentality, as I'm a "collector" of "shooters".
Don

chet15

Hawkeye
Another thing to consider that I seem to be seeing a little lately is that some of these scarce model variations generally bring pretty good $ initially because once Ruger discontinues them, a lot of folks "at the time" realize the rarity...which creates the demand, which generally increases the prices.
However...as seen with a thread on RF lately, namely the Southport Mini-14, I can also see interest being lost as time goes on. By interest I mean a continued demand...and this seems to be waning for quite a few different models as the years go by.
JMO
Chet15

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I have quite a few Redhawks and have bought & sold many over the past 4-5 years. I cannot comment on additional value for consecs but speaking for myself would not place much if any additional value on pairs, and especially quads. I sold 2 NIB .357 guns last year without the shippers to upgrade to complete packages as WMG as stated that he did. Both brought in the mid-600 range which is about the value I placed on them. As WMG so eloquently stated, there are few Redhawk collectors out there. Even tho the .357 is pretty scarce the demand just ain't there to drive the prices any higher.

I've never been able to get around $650 for ANY 357 mag redhawk and I;ve sold them at times with two (a pair) one of each barrel length.....yes,interesting but most of the guys we;ve sold them to ,wanted to USE ( shoot ) them........good luck

operator

Bearcat
Mr. WMG, The 2 digit SP & GP you refered to are still together and living in retirement in North Alabama. Operator

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
rugerguy said:
I've never been able to get around $650 for ANY 357 mag redhawk

The non-boxed one that I sold after getting my NIB example went for $725 + shipping on GB to a guy who wanted a shooter, and it was a penny auction so there must have been another guy who wanted it almost as bad.

The listing has expired but I still have this pic of it, but I sold it with standard grips, not the stags, and the SP was not included ;)

Big-n-Lil-357s.jpg

operator

Bearcat
From the best I remember. I paid around $800 plus shipping. They had been posted 2 times on this classified with no success. Then he said he would split them up, which bothered me, Finally, I got them both. Thanks Operator

chet15

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
chet15 said:
By interest I mean a continued demand...and this seems to be waning for quite a few different models as the years go by.

Based on my latest penny auction results, the models that are in low demand at the moment are three screw single action revolvers :cry:

Yes, penny auctions and no reserves would be great...but usually not for the seller, not in our case anyway.
Just judging from the way some of these folks act on GB and AA, a lot of people want the seller to give this stuff away. I start all our common gun AA auctions out at a penny, but there's also a reserve placed on each auction. Had one person complain to me that after he'd put a $100 bid on a NIB Vaquero he thought I'd changed the auction terms because all of a sudden he saw a reserve on the auction. I don't like even answering these idiots back.
Chet15