Ross Flat Top???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
So does a wavy front sight and base and a 15xxx serial always equal a Ross variation? What about the ejector rod? I picked up a flat top locally in Alaska that is 15,117 and has wavy front base and ramp. Just had a chance to look at it briefly and then called the shop back and asked them to hold it for me till I could get back in to pick it up and do not recall what ejector rod it had. So am curious chances of it being one of the Ross variations, and if the serial # and wavy lined sight/base is the key or not.

I likely paid a bit too much either way ($575) as it is a shooter quality gun. Has some bluing wear on the ERH and front sight, well word ring on cylinder, but was just too pretty plum and overall functionally nice to leave it sitting--so it will have to come home with me. I do not come across many old rugers up here that are not already in collectors hands or beat to hell. This and my BKH-44b are the only two I have come across in the last 12 months.

Anyway, what do ya'll think, Ross?

Thanks,

Will

flatgate

Hawkeye
wildwillalaska said:
So does a wavy front sight and base and a 15xxx serial always equal a Ross variation? What about the ejector rod?
Will

It should have the early ejector rod button, as well. That is, the "serrated" style and not the flat faced with a "counterbore" (dimple) style.

Of course, we'd LOVE to see some pictures! :D

flatgate

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
I probably need to Clements a shout to see where in the line up she sits. How long ago was that anyway? Its been kind of out of sight out of mind.

On the one today I ran out of time to get back by the shop and he's closed till Tuesday (hopefully bedding my 375) so will not have it till then for pics.

Will

Second on the pic request . . . and confirmation of the ejector rod button.

15116 shows up on Bob's List as a ROSS variation, close to the middle of the range.

Nice find, Will.

:) :) :)

flatgate

Hawkeye
Robb Barnes said:
Hey, how is the flat top project coming by the way? Any pictures of that one yet?

Sorta.......

44SpecialProject.jpg

ATTM, it has a .44 barrel and a really tall Bowen front sight. It also has a New Vaquero grip frame in place of the aluminum style. I shot a few loads through it and they printed about 2 feet low.... :D

flatgate

Yeah, yer right. Dug out my Type 1 and it looks like that.

Will, the ROSS guns on Bob's List run from 14684 thru 15483. Within that range, only one gun is listed as a "non-ROSS" gun, and it is 15023 that was shipped 9/57, a year after the ROSS guns . . . most of which shipped in mid-1956.

Personal opinion: if your gun has the "wavy lines" front sight it's VERY likely a ROSS gun as it's the components that determine the ROSS classification. If it doesn't have the proper ejector components there could be a discussion about its classification as a ROSS gun, I guess, but those are easily swapped. Not that I'm suggesting you do so, just that someone else could have already done it. Yes, the barrel (and therefore the sight) could have been swapped, but I kinda doubt it.

Confirming the ship date with TheFactory would be a good idea, I'd think.

:)

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
As a side note Robb on the flattop project, by chance do you recall the serial number of the gun. I somehow misplaced the e-mail with it and if Clements were to ask the only description I could give is its the gun he received from you with my deposit check back in March. I really dropped the ball on record keeping on this one. Kinda funny I bought that gun months ago and have never laid eyes on it. I will have to bug you for any before pictures so we can compare the after.

Truly,

Will

chet15

Hawkeye
Ross gun discussion? If its got the wavy fore to aft matting on the front sight base and the top of the blade its a Ross variation flattop, so no need for any confusion there I.M.O.
As a side note, 15023 was first reported years ago by Bud Faulk in one of his earliest issues of Faulks Collectors Service. The gun was assembled late so had the later type front sight.
Chet15

I'm with you, Chet15, it's just that I saw a bunch of OM .357 barrels for sale over the weekend. Didn't happen to notice the front sights, but the scenario is still there.

I'd assume a .357 with "wavy lines" on the front sight on a 4-5/8" tube and a 14XXX/15XXX number to be a ROSS gun . . . but I'd also check TheFactory for a ship date, as well.

I'm hoping Will's gun checks out . . . particularly since it's consecutive to one that's already on Bob's List.

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
I took it with me to Yakutat this year but ended up taking my brown bear with rifle as the shot opportunity I ended up at 160 yrds. and wasn't going to get closer unless I wanted to swim. Brought it on a Goat hunt, but due to weight left it in camp and then I spent all fall hunting an archery only moose permit. So although I have shot the dickens out of it practicing and such, I haven't killed a thing with it.

A buddy is trying to talk me into a muskox hunt in January and if it materializes, the Linebaugh is sure to go along. Hands down, still my favorite gun.

Will

So as not to lose track of it, I have added 15117 to Bob's List, right next to 15116.

Would still like to see factory confirmation, though, along with a ship date.

Fascinating piece.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Will, are we sure about the serial number??

Isn't that interesting! Another gun was recently on gunbroker that another collector thought was also 15117, but it has all Type 2 features (not of a Ross). I've done an edit and blow-up of the sn side of the gun and looks like 16117 to me. Makes sense as there are too many features on this auction gun that are of the period of 16117 production (6-groove barrel, Type 2 front sight confirmed, concave ejector button, offset housing, drilled thru base pin latch nut and no timing mark on the rear sight screw).
Have an email off to the owner right now though to confirm.
Chet15