More "attic treasures" - practical holsters!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Ordered 2 of the right hand 4-5/8 holsters, got here tonight. Looks like they have been around for a long time as the boxes the holsters were packed in looked original to them, with "Longview Fibre Company" and "Springfield Mass" on the box makers certificate.

An added plus was the holsters were enclosed in the old plastic protective gun bags with the circular SR Phoenix logos across the one side of the bag.

These are going to go really well with an old NIB SSM-4 I picked up recently.

XLIV

Single-Sixer
Wow, thanks for posting the practical collection pic. What a nice display.

I'll use mine lightly..just for show at the range mostly. This SS is shooter grade and a little wear on the finish won't hurt her much. I just didnt want to pay a hundred for a practical.

25i7ts5.jpg

Hey Mike, right you are, those were the old mans words according to John.........yessir they would indeed "eat the blue off" and in a very short time...heaven forbid one would leave their gun inside, for any extended period of time .......refinished a few of those over the years..........
and yes sold out 'last' Old Army RH this past sunday at the OGCA ,still got $60 for it and it was "brand new"............ :wink:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Now I see they're doing this as a combo deal. Doesn't make sense as far as compatability but if it helps move the product...

49897_L.jpg

paul s

Bearcat
Yep, just ordereed mine, any body need a Mini 14 stock?

BlkHawk73 said:
Now I see they're doing this as a combo deal. Doesn't make sense as far as compatability but if it helps move the product...

49897_L.jpg

Boomer

Single-Sixer
XLIV said:
...I'll use mine lightly..just for show at the range mostly. This SS is shooter grade and a little wear on the finish won't hurt her much...
I too would like one of these "out of mothball" holsters, but I only see 4 5/8" & 6 1/2" offered. Your OM SS looks like my serial number 10xxx 5 1/2" flatgate, which seems will remain in the same Clark "Rebel" western style holster that my late father purchased with this Ruger in Mar '55. Am I missing something here?

When I looked at the website to order mine, It looked like they were showing a tan holster. I got mine today and was surprised to open the box and find it was a dark reddish brown. Almost oxblood. So are they all coming in like this or are some lighter brown to tan? I like it, just curious.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I ordered 2 of each and they got here yesterday (UPS from AZ to VT over a holiday week - yawn). I opened the shipping box tonight and see that one of the RH4's has "Cathay" written under the recently added barcode label. Cathay was an alternate maker and you can tell a Cathay because it doesn't say "Handmade by Bianchi" on the back.

I haven't opened the actual holster boxes, so I'm unsure what is inside, but I have a couple other Cathay practical holsters and I know they are dyed darker than the Bianchi.

jimbo1096, I'll bet yours is a Cathay just from the color you describe.

Mine came in a white cardboard box with very old and peeling clear tape on each end. The barcode and Ruger label is applied on to the old tape on one end and it says 'HOLSTER BOX' in green printed lettering printer, as well as the Longview box info. The oposite end has 'RH4' written on it with black felt pen, under the old tape. No other identifying marks from any maker. The holster is is a clear bag with the Ruger logos, and also has no maker identified on the holster anywhere I can see. This Cathay marking is on the outside of your box? The box I got looks like it was either opened and retaped or a generic shipping box. Either way the tape has been on there quite a while, and it's obvious no one opened the box to check contents before sending it out.