Roy Rogers Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrongsiderandy

Bearcat
Very nice site. Anyone have an idea what a Ruger Bearcat Roy Rogers with display case, belt buckle and plaque numbered 73 of 75 is worth? Thanks!

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't believe I've ever heard of that issue. Did it originate from American Remembers or one of those similar outfits? The dedicated Ruger Collector wouldn't get too excited about one of those. At least this Collector feels that way.

Of course,

worthless.gif

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
There's been some talk of the Roy Rogers issues here lately. I always thought the 75 guns that were made were all Super Bearcats but apparently there were other models also that were turned into commemoratives, like at least one S3840 Buckeye Special Convertible in .38-40/10mm.
Value is a tough one to judge since a lot of folks conisider the Roy Rogers/Rugers to be after-market customizations, but hopefully somebody will be along here shortly to help you out with a valuation.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
RR-Pistol-Case.jpg

Uberti
There is also a Roy and Dale Colt SAA. The image is too large to post....

RoyRogersRugers.jpg

Here's a RR Super, a Blackhawk and a OM Bearcat!

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
Does the Bearcat's serial number begin with 90, 91 or 93, then a dash and five more numbers?

flatgate

PS Duh, I looked at the pic. It has a standard BC-4 hammer so it's NOT a 93 prefixed New Bearcat.

wrongsiderandy

Bearcat
It is a 91 and unfired. I have a friend who has this gun for sale...he is asking $2000. Just trying to get an idea of value. Thanks!

flatgate

Hawkeye
As I mentioned, the "Serious" Ruger Collector won't be very interested since the gun is not "as shipped" from the Ruger Factory.

Value? IMHO, more like $500.........but I wouldn't offer that much.

HOWEVER, to the dedicated Roy Rogers Fan, the value may be a bit more....

JMHO,

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Would probably be even more interesting if Roy Rogers himself had a hand in the issue, but even then...probably only to Roy Rogers fans.
Please don't take offense at our comments here, just trying to give honest answers to honest questions, but special issue/commemoratives etc. only hold value in the eyes of the beholder.
Mag-na-Port did a bunch of special issues a few decades ago and offered them to the populace for A LOT OF $. They sold pretty good back then, considering....even at those high prices. But CUSTOM GUNS is CUSTOM GUNS and I doubt if anybody today can even get back what they paid for them 20-30 years ago.
Engraving, plating, trigger jobs, jeweling, special grips....its all "after-market" custom work. Yes, we know that Roy Rogers' son only authorized 75 of this limited "CUSTOM" issue and there will apparently will never be any more (???), but a value is also determined for such items on the laws of supply and demand. If there isn't anybody looking for something like that, then the supply far exceeds demand, so the depressing values that have come from honest Ruger Collectors' opinions.
Chet15

wrongsiderandy

Bearcat
Thank you guys......that is kind of what I was thinking.

On another note.....Did Ruger ever make any full automatics similar to a Thompson "Tommy" that can be owned by civilians with class 3? Can anyone with class 3 own a AC556?

Thanks again!

flatgate

Hawkeye
R.L. Wilson's Ruger and His Guns covers Ruger's Automatic stuff. I know nothing about the laws, though.....

Call your local, friendly BATFE agent! :D

flatgate