What are your plans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rutcutter

Single-Sixer
I am curious as to what most of you have planned for your collections in the future.

I have always considered or justified my gun purchases as investments. I have invested alot :shock:

Unfortunately my children don't have the same interests as me, so I don't think I will be leaving them any.

I am thinking towards the end I will just do a massive auction.

How about you?

Mike

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Still plenty young enough to not worry 'bout it right now. My son, he's 9, has taken interest in 10/22's but mainly for making them take on different looks and such. He does enjoy range trips and making targets fall/swing. Will his interest grow? Hard to say but regardless, it's his choice. Should he have interest, he'll have a hoard to contend with (purchased a bunch specifically to tuck away for him anyways). Should he not have interest...I won't be around at that point to worry. ;)

My three kids have it all planned out. One gets the restored '76 SWB chevy, one gets the all original '56 2 door hardtop and the oldest gets all the custom guns. At least that is what they say!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've been slowly selling everything I own...My plan is to die almost totally broke; it's not that easy to "time" but I think I have it pretty well planned out. Dad did it perfectly...........John N.

picketpin

Buckeye
Some have already gone to people that expressed an interest in or desire for specific rifles, shot guns or revolvers etc. I have a 32 year old son that hunts but is NOT a gun nut. My grandson is 8 and lives in Oregon with his dad. I'll leave some to him for college or whatever.

Some to my brothers, if they out last me and a few to Cousin wayne and other good friends.

I've been culling for the last two years and continue to do so. In the next couple of years many of the common things will be gone, to finance my truck and my last pick-up.

I continue to down size or at least ry and imnprove the things I'm hanging onto longer.

My wifes absolute greatest fear is that I fall over dead and she has to figure out to do with all these guns.

If it was a few or even not to many it wouldn't be much of an issue. In my case however it really is a LOT of guns and even more shooting/reloading/camping stuff.

About the time I think I'm making progress I run across something I just have to have and I dig the hole deeper. ;-(

Ross

tuskbuster

Single-Sixer
grand kids gettin everything in my safes old lady says different cause she knows where i keep the combination to the safes ,isay but ah you have to know how to interpret those combos ,smartazz,my grandkids are nuts about huntin and guns for now anyways theyre ony 7, 6 ,4.

41 nut

Bearcat
In a few years I'll start cashing in my retirement account. I've always looked on my Ruger collection as an investment for my retirement along with the enjoyment I get from collecting them now. I do have one son who has laid claim to some of my Rugers. He'll get them. The other son isn't interested in collectable guns. He says if I cann't shoot them I don't want them. Any I left to him would be taken out and shot.

Actually my wife came up with a great plan, assuming she out lives me. We'll see how that works out. Anyway, she's going to have the KIDS separate them into groups of somewhat equal value so that no one can call a foul and then number each group. They will draw numbers to see which group they get.

The only drawback is that my son in Canada will get zip because he can't take them across the border.

mattsbox99

Hunter
He can take them across the border, just has to submit to the anal inspections.

--

I'm plenty young, but I've made my plans - my brother gets everything he wants, and the rest go to my best friend. Once I have kids, things may change a bit though.

Doc Nonverbal

Bearcat
I have always enjoyed shooting, but only started collecting in earnest about two years ago. I tell my wife that they're investments for our daughters, who are currently six and almost four years old.

It is my sincere hope that both girls develop an interest and appreciation for shooting and collecting. This will be an uphill battle, as my wife is anti-gun and they certainly don't get any pro-gun education in school. Still, I am resolved to do what I can.

So either I'll be giving one or both of my daughters my collection, or selling it off when it becomes apparent that my "better if used before" date comes up.

I don't see how we'll ever lose money collecting firearms, provided that we buy the right guns and maintain them properly. My collection has already out-performed my 401k, not that this is saying much. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
This subject comes up occasionally.
I strongly suggest that everyone,, and I mean everyone,, should have a strongly, legal will to deal with any possesions they wish to be given, sold, or whatever,, NO MATTER HOW FEW,, OR HOW MANY. Plus,, just because you are young,, does not make you immune from death.
Do a will,, do it right,, and it will make those left behind happy that you thought of doing things right. Plus,, it will make losing you easier.
I know,, I've been in a legal battle of one type or another since my mother passed away in Nov 2008.
Think enough of those you love to prevent their being forced to choose sides,, turn against a family member,, or spend lots of $$$$$$ with lawyers to settle things.

That said,, the NRA,, can always use firearms to continue the fight. What isn't museum quality will get sold properly,, and the money used to keep on protecting our rights.
Give away those special guns to someone who will appreciate them.
If you wish for someone else to handle the sale of things,, make sure you have an honest value of them along with details on how to dispose of them. We all hear about the widow who takes guns to the police to "turn them in" or to a dealer to "sell" and the dealer sells things w/o good knowledge of certain valuable pieces.
As always,, the devil is in the details,,,!