Low S/N M77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rufnek100

Bearcat
In 1981, I received a M77 .243 Win for my 10th birthday from my father. I recall at the time being told to hold on to it, as it had a low serial number (1XXX) and that made it more valuable - I've had it my whole life and have taken many a whitetail with it. As I grew up I moved more into larger game and have drifted towards the magnums so it's been 15+ years since I've pulled the Ruger out. But I had a recent offer to get back to some good ol' deer hunting and decided to pull it out of the safe again.

So curiosity got the better of me and a little internet digging tells me from the serial number that it was actually produced in 1968 - interesting, since the rifle didn't make it into my possession until 1981 and I had always (incorrectly) assumed my father purchased it new.

Not being a collector / trader but more of an enthusiast and hunter, I was hoping to get some honest feedback from y'all that are "in the know". It's been well used but well taken care of - no rust or dings beyond some minor stock scuffs here and there.

Is this rifle particularly rare or valuable? I'm not asking because I want to part with it - my father has since passed and it's got too much sentimental value, but I've always wondered about that "low serial number" story.

Many thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm not a M77 collector,, but if my faded memory is correct,, a 1968 M77 should be what is known as a "Flatbolt." And yes,, they do have a bit more value from later produced guns. Unfortunately,, unless NIB,,or ANIB,, and the low number of M77 collectors,, prices are not as high as other guns.
Still a very nice gun. I too bought a M77 in .243 back in 1981 as my son was born in 1981. I decided to "put some history on it," so that when he grew up,, it would be his,, knowing his old man had killed a bunch of deer with it. Well I took 21 whitetails with it,, and gave it to him. He killed his first deer with it,, and then when he was young & dumb,, he sold it at the age of 19 or 20. He fully regrets it now,,,!

Rufnek100

Bearcat
Thanks for the insight. I figured as much since there have been a large number of M77's produced, but you're correct in that it's of the flatbolt variety. It's a great shooting rifle, but not close to "NIB" condition, as I never even had the box it came in.

Thanks again!

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Flatbolt prices are a bit soft now except for the truly rare variations or two and three digit serial numbers. The rifle will be a flatbolt with a Douglas barrel on it and should shoot very well. I also have a four digit (17XX) .243Win. And, I have two three digit .308Wins (41X and 41X).

There are some interesting variations during the serial number range of your rifle. PM me and I'll help you sort them all out.