Stainless 45 colt/45 acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Southerngunner

Bearcat
A local shop has a 7.5" Blackhawk with both cylinders, what concerns me is the super blackhawk square back trigger guard,was this a special production gun? The serial # starts with 47xxxx,it has the box and looks to be in very good condition. what would a fair price for such a gun be? If it is a limited model any info would be appreciated.
Thanks ,
Terry

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
What's interesting is that the stainless convertible .45 was a low production special run for a distributor, so in that sense it sounds like a scarce gun. However, they had normal grip frames, so it sounds like someone did a swap. The 47-xxxxx is correct for the convertible. There were 320 made in that barrel length in 1992.

Southerngunner

Bearcat
My dealer says the sticker is not on the end of the box just the numbers 4812 The full serial number is 47-50079 and the gun was owned by a gentleman that belonged to the Ruger collectors association. The extra acp cyl. number matches the revolver and the side of the gun says Super Blackhawk 45 colt .

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
You can call Ruger Records at 603-865-2424 and have them give you the model number, that way you can confirm that it was originally a convertible. The model should come back as KBN45X but they will not have any way to confirm the Super Blackhawk grip frame.

Sounds pretty legit as a convertible, mine is 47-50137 and others that I have had and let go of were 47-58736 and 47-41773. They are all interspersed with regular production (single cyl stainless and single/dual cyl blue) guns in that SN range.

In addition to the 320 with 7.5" barrels, there were 355 with 4-5/8" barrels and 77 with 5.5" barrels.

Southerngunner

Bearcat
Thank you Sir for the info I will call Ruger tomorrow and check . It sounds like the asking price of $499.00 is reasonable since there was only 320 of that model made.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yeah, I've bought them as low as $400 and as high as $565. But you need to factor in the cost of a correct grip frame and grips if you want to restore it to original config. But then someone will buy that Super Blackhawk stuff off you and it might be a wash. Or just keep it as-is and enjoy.

Southerngunner

Bearcat
I actually like the SBH gripframe because I was blessed or cursed with large hands It is too bad its not all original but I mainly want it for a shooter with both cylinders.

Thanks again for your time

flatgate

Hawkeye
Southerngunner said:
the side of the gun says Super Blackhawk 45 colt .

I'm confused. I thought only the Hunter Models used that rollmark....

OK, I'll crawl back under my Old Model Rock....... :D

flatgate

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Good point flatgate, I missed that. Curiouser and curiouser... The Hunters used the 88 SN prefix and do not have the square back trigger guard. And they have a scope rib over the barrel, laminated grips, and of course say "HUNTER" in large lettering on the topstrap of the cylinder frame.

So who knows what this is - factory screw-up perhaps? I wouldn't think that the model and caliber would be rollmarked with different dies, but if they were, it could be explained as an error where a Super Blackhawk cyl frame (dimensionally identical to standard NM Blackhawk frame, just a different rollmark) was accidentally marked as .45, assembled as a .45, then the guy fitting grip frames just saw the model and slapped a dragoon frame onto it... But it sounds like a stretch.

Pics! We need pics!

KBN45X.jpg

Standard KBN45X

Southerngunner

Bearcat
I will go back to the shop today and get a closer look at the gun ,I have not yet bought it . Perhaps the shop owner will let take a couple of pics to help solve this mystery.

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
Terry, if the shop will take 400-450 for it you ought to jump on it. Sounds like a real nice configuration for a .45 Blackhawk.

7.5 bbl, convertible, stainless, square trigger guard; seems just about perfect!

Jim

Southerngunner

Bearcat
The gun is on consignment and the owner tells me that is as low as he can go. I buy a lot of guns from this shop so I believe he is doing what he can because they are usually good to me. If nothing else I will probably put it on lay away for a X-mas present to me :wink:

Southerngunner

Bearcat
I just got back from the shop and after a closer inspection it appears that the grip frame was changed and the shop owner gave me the wrong info on the rollmark ,it does say New model Blackhawk not super. Sorry for the confussion and as usual you guys are right on with your info. I may still buy the gun but with the changes the value as a collector piece is probably less than the asking price however it is still a very nice gun.
If I do pick it up I will post some pictures .
Thanks Again, Terry

flatgate

Hawkeye
One must be on his toes and quite cautious about these "odd" appearing examples.

52725233.jpg

Here's a stainless .45 cal. Blackhawk with a Hunter grip frame and Super Blackhawk hammer. Huh? Yup, right out of Flatgate's Homeboy Gun Smithing Parlor...... :D

flatgate

And, does this thing ever shoot!