The Value of a NIB NM "D" and Match

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Let's talk about the value of a NM "D" prefix gun and the matching SN gun both NIB. Guess so long as the dealer holds them we can call them "NIB" but when a set builder buys them we should call them "AS NIB." Should we apply some sort of plus X% value to MSRP price or perhaps the average going street price for the guns without the special SNs?

FWIW I'm trying to buy NOT sell :D

IMHO it's strictly a measure of the "gotta have it" factor.

Whether NIB at a dealer or ANIB from an individual makes no difference to me. It would be the "pairing up" that would have the "value" to a Rugerphile who was into the "numbers" aspect of collecting.

A "premiunm" for such a pair? Again, the "gotta have it factor" rules. Such a pair has its own appeal and "value". For me, a pair of recent New Models would have no particular appeal. A pair of Type I .357 Flatties . . . OH, YEAH!!

JMHO
:)

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Old School view was that a consecutive pair was valued close to what three of the guns would be worth. I believe these days the 3X factor has reduced to 2.5X or so. Especially with the plethora of New Models that have appeared since about 2005.

Now, consecutive pairs that were shipped from Ruger as a pair and such pairs that were shipped to a "somebody" can escalate the values quite a lot.

Pairing up of "D" guns with their s/n mate is a bit different. With respect to the Old Models the matching up is quite rare. Again, with the large number of New Models that have recently appeared the probability of matching them up is significantly higher and I'd think the values would not approach the "premiums" discussed above. But, there's still a certain uniqueness that would certainly increase the "gotta have it" factor!

Just My Humble Opinion,

flatgate

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I think adding a percentage to the MSRP might end up a bit high since the MSRP is usually a good bit higher than a "good deal" price for NIB New Models. Another thing that will affect the end price is the "gotta sell it" factor. The market for duplicates like this is nothing like the regular gun market. I think buyers have the upperhand right now. Maybe the dealer will give you the "right of first refusal" for a few months. If others show interest it will give the dealer a better idea of what he can expect to get for them. That way you can be pretty sure you are in the ballpark of the current value. Of course your location and the availability of current models may be an issue too since shipping and the uncertainty involved with non face to face transactions can be significant costs if you are trying to get the very best deal. I think the biggest reason ( in most cases ) that pairs are not valued higher is that most people buying guns aren't looking for two, they just want to buy one. If the supply of the single guns separately starts to diminsh then the price of the pairs compared to the price of two single guns dimishes too (not necessarily proportionately though.) I am talking about New Models. I think the Old Models are more complicated.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Axe,
If you are refering to the pair you and I have discussed, this is how I view it and based what was my offer.

"Duplicate New Model" blued .44 Spcl. Rare (31 made) I would pay $700.00 -$750.00 which would make the "Premium" $200.00 to $250.00 over average selling prices.

The "Matching" serial numbered SS .44 Spcl. brings in the "pucker factor"
it is unique to the matching "D" gun so to pair them up (when the seller owns both guns) I used same "Premium" value of $200.00 to $250.00 over the average selling price of the gun.

I set my limit & offered $1400.00 to $1500.00 for the pair, as you already know that did not get the job done :cry: .

As Ale-8(1) stated they would have to be OM for him to be interested, so clearly it is going to take a NM Collector (1 of 6) :wink: to establish a "Premium" for these guns. I based my price based on the fact that one man owns both guns and knows they are very unique. If two different people owned the guns and they were for sale my "Premium" value would be less and I would try to buy them cheaper.

The True Test of establishing a value on this pair would be to put them on the auction block and let her ride!!!! JMHO.
Terry

PS, John if you view this my offer still stands! Axe if you do get them congradulations and thanks for letting the NM collectors that these were available.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I didn't buy a set of Bear cats that had the D gun and non D gun.....sure wish I had NOW......hey RUSS my offer still stands....a D gun and an S gun :lol: :lol: :lol: I will bring'um to Harrisburg this spring .......see ya RR.

And the painful truth of the matter is that if a matched pair of OM Flatties did show up, the price would quickly rise FAR above my budget, "gotta have it" factor notwithstanding.

I'm too lazy to look it up . . . anyone aware of a "D pair" of OM Flatties, either .357 or .44 type?

;)

Axehandle

Buckeye
Thanks for the good info guys.... As Terry has stated the specific pair in question are a bit over priced. I have been friends with this dealer for 20 years and, as much as I hate to say it, have most likely spent close to $200,000 at his shop over that time.. Not predicting a success story here but I'm sure I'll at least see the best price that can be had.. I'll post a picture if I bring them home.. :shock:

Axehandle

Buckeye
There will be no bad feelings either way here... I have even agreed with him that someone out there might pay his price. My gun budget just can't stand it these days... I've already got 12 of these little FT 44 Special beasties... :shock:

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
And the painful truth of the matter is that if a matched pair of OM Flatties did show up, the price would quickly rise FAR above my budget, "gotta have it" factor notwithstanding.

I'm too lazy to look it up . . . anyone aware of a "D pair" of OM Flatties, either .357 or .44 type?

;)

There were no "D" marked flattops.
Ruger did make 9 "A" prefixed 10" .357's which are essentially duplicate guns, but was so early in the game for Ruger on the "duplicating" dilemma that they hadn't thought of marking them with a "D"....marked them with an "A" instead.
Two "A" prefixed 10" guns have been reported through the years, but the current whearabouts of each is unknown today. The matching numbers to the "A" guns are also 10" .357's, but of those none have been reported matching the two "A" guns that were reported long ago.
Chet15

Axehandle

Buckeye
Putting things in proper prospective... I can turn up one fine OM Blackhawk for the asking price of these two NMs. We are easily into the 10 inch FT 44, lettered Brassie, and Hawkeye range...

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Axehandle said:
Putting things in proper prospective... I can turn up one fine OM Blackhawk for the asking price of these two NMs. We are easily into the 10 inch FT 44, lettered Brassie, and Hawkeye range...

Well stated Axe!! Besides what do you need two sets for? :D :D :D !
Good luck
Terry

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
If one NM FT is worth one and two in a row are worth 2.5x then where do we stand at say three in a row. I know this was a D thread but couldn't help asking.

RD18

Single-Sixer
I was lucky to purchase a D bearcat with the twin # a few years ago and since have been building my bearcat collection so to R.R. at this time they stay put. but you could still bring an S bearcat cause as you know I still need one. Russ