OHP Mini-14 Oklahoma Highway Patrol factory special order

Help Support Ruger Forum:

milgunsguy

Bearcat
Oklahoma Highway Patrol purchased rifles that were marked: "OHP" on the rear receiver and had a unique stock.

contender

Ruger Guru
First, Ruger never gives out production figures.
That said, the RENE has some info.
Some are marked with O.H.P. (approximately 1300) & some are not (approximately 300).
A slightly longer stock, M1 Carbine style sling mount, fiberglass handguard, red rubber recoil pad, & a oiler in the buttstock. Some are stamped with the last 3 digits of the serial number on the bottom of the grip. Known serial number range of 181-0xxxx and 181-47568 to 181-51296.
Kinda rare.

milgunsguy

Bearcat
Thanks for the information.

What looks like an oiler, and which holds the sling like a Carbine oiler does, is actually a stick of solid black plastic.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
This is an article I wrote in 1992 about the O.H.P. Mini. It appeared in the RCA Collectors' Journal Vol.16 No. 2. This is not a complete list of serial numbers as more were made available since I wrote this.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
I was a municipal PD officer in OK from 1977-1997.

Locally, on the guns I saw, the numbers stamped on the bottom of the pistol grip were the badge number of the Trooper to whom it was issued.

FWIW.

Sarrah

Bearcat
I own SN 181-47567. It has OHP markings, longer light colored hardwood stock with red pad and carbine style sling provision, no number on the pistol grip. The carbine oiler is too big to use, fiberglass handguard. I bought it a few years ago when the Oklahoma Prison System surplused their Mini 14s. I believe it was the only OHP in the lot.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I won the bid on an unnumbered stock at the Amoskeag auction sales of the Terhune gun collection. My broader memories also recall that there was a Randall knife also available with the purchase of this rifle. Handled a set in Tucson at Tom Ford's shop my Friend managed.......I wanted the blade but the set was not to be split up...................