BKH 44 ser# help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Don Garlitz said:
I am trying to find out what the highest Ser# BKH44 is? RENE shows 45-23016 does anybody have or heard of a higher one? Thanks for the help.

The highest serial number assigned to an old Model .45 Blackhawk is 45-23031. Because the 4-5/8" barrel was being installed nearly exclusively on the last of the old model .45's, I will bet that 45-23031 is also a BKH44 or even BKH44X.
Chet15

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I have 45-23031 and it is indeed the last number made, as a BKH-44, but not the last one shipped. It shipped in April, 1973. There are guns that shipped in July/August, 1973, with a lower number, just due to Ruger's shipping processes.

I also have 45-23023, also a BKH-44, and it also shipped in April, 1973, while three others I have, 45-22502, 45-22541, and 45-22829, all shipped in May, 1973, all as BKH-44s.

BB45C

chet15

Hawkeye
Don Garlitz said:
Maybe they ran out of ACP cylinders after 23016?

The front cone on a NM .45 cylinder is longer than the cone on an Old Model cylinder, but does anybody know if the NM cylinder will fit in an Old model and vice versa? Maybe the body of the NM .45 cylinder is slightly shorter?
If the OM .45 cylinder won't fit in the New Model, then looks like Ruger probably did want to finish up their supply of old model cylinders that were on hand.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Don Garlitz said:
Maybe they ran out of ACP cylinders after 23016?

The only way you'd ever know is to get a letter on all of the higher serial numbers than 45-23016.
Chet15

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Chad, I can measure some cylinders but the very early NMs used the OM cylinders, with the firing pin groove, so I am not sure I agree with you on that. I don't think there was much of a difference between the cylinders for the late OMs and the early NMs.

Don - you might have one of the last convertibles. There weren't many in the last run. Are both cylinders numbered to the gun?

bB45C

Don Garlitz

Bearcat
Yes Matt I have looked at it very close both cyls are engraved in the same hand. Although I don't think I ever asked for letter I think it's a good one.The gun is at least 99% with the like new original box numbered to gun in the red pencil. All papers are there but no shipper. :cry:

chet15

Hawkeye
bigbore45colt said:
Chad, I can measure some cylinders but the very early NMs used the OM cylinders, with the firing pin groove, so I am not sure I agree with you on that. I don't think there was much of a difference between the cylinders for the late OMs and the early NMs.

Don - you might have one of the last convertibles. There weren't many in the last run. Are both cylinders numbered to the gun?

bB45C

Maybe I am wrong on that, but I could swear the NM cylinders have a longer cone on the front of the cylinder. Haven't had any spare cylinders around here for a while to check. Maybe I'm thinking of the .357 cylinders when they went to the NM and the Super Blackhawk frame where it had to have a longer cone on the front.

Be careful about saying cylinders with the firing pin groove were old model cylinders...I have different thinking on that since the last edition of the reference was printed. The firing pin groove was only a machining operation, one that continued into the New Model era.
There are at least 10,000 to 11,000 New Model .45 Blackhawks with firing pin grooves in the rear of the cylinder, and straggler cylinders with the groove are known as high as 46-13311. What is really tough to believe is that Ruger would actually have that many cylinders lying around in stock ready to be used...in addition to another 6,000 .41 cylinders with the firing pin groove, 6,000 .30 Carbine cylinders with the groove, around 42,000 grooved Super Blackhawk cylinders and get this...maybe 250,000 Single-Six LR cylinders (mostly blue) with the groove.
I no longer believe these were leftovers from Old Model production....especially when cylinders are pretty easily cut from bar stock. I can see Ruger putting a lot better use to the space required to store that many cylinders.
Chet15