Model 71 348 receiver sight Info needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I want to put a receiver sight on my 348. Do you know the correct number I need ? Lyman, Winchester Redfield or Williams Not fussy.
TIA Charlie

trapperon

Blackhawk
Charlie

Just cant beat a Winchester 71! I love to hear of guys still using them. Just a perfect rifle/cartridge combination.

Shoot a big one this fall--

Ron

win1894s

Blackhawk
I have a Browning 71 carbine I bought new.great gun great round.
I Think Marlin missed the boat on putting this in guide gun.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Handed my Browning 71 to a hunting partner once, just to repair my laces. He shouldered it a few times, and he now owns at least one.

I second the Williams Fool-Proof. At least until XS makes a fwd rail for the M71.

pete44ru

Hunter

You're welcome - please let us know how the peep sight works out for you, shooting.

BTW - if you didn't already do so, remove the rear barrel open/iron sight, for a clean sight picture.

I make my own dovetail slot filler blanks from just about any old take-off longleaf rear sight's male dovetail section.

DSCN0461.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Sights works very well. Wished I had put it on years ago. Interestingly I too make my sight blanks as you do and think I learned to do so from this forum. Maybe it was you? I did not need to replace front sight and these old eyes (71) do smooch better with the peep.
Thanks for asking
Charlie

My 71 has this vintage Redfield peep sight and it works great. I remove the peep insert and use the aperture much like a ghost ring when hunting in the heavy timber. This sight was on the rifle when my Dad bought it 50 years ago.

Dave

pete44ru

Hunter

IME, when/IF a vintage Model 71/86 steel Redfield receiver peep sight can be found, at all, it will cost at least 3x what the Williams FP does - but they ARE nice (I have one on my .35 Remington Model 141 pumpgun).