COLLECTION: Looking for advice, opinions, snide remarks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
As many of you know I have kept my collection to .357 flattops. I am to the point that the only guns remaining to complete it would be a prototype, engraved gun, case hardened gun, guns with prominence etc. All of which are so rare that A) chances of acquiring them are slim and B) probably not affordable. I vowed to not venture into other calibers. Soooo, where do I go from here. To the OM protected sights?

Now I do have all six transition guns, both brass frames and both non-prefix convertibles. One with shipping sleeve. My issue is that there are so many minor variations that I can't fathom how many guns I would be chasing. Also most of those variations, have very little meaning or value from an invest perspective to the average guy. I know the investment aspect is secondary. When I started collecting the stock market was in the tank, so money went to collecting. Obviously hindsight being 20/20, I would have knocked it out the park in the market. But, this has been so much fun and I have met so many great people.

What do yins think? ( YEP, PITTSBURGH YINZER )

Jim Puke

Hunter
I would probably look at the Colt's... I would rather have a safe full of Colt's than Ruger's...just me and you asked.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
tommygun said:
As many of you know I have kept my collection to .357 flattops. I am to the point that the only guns remaining to complete it would be a prototype, engraved gun, case hardened gun, guns with prominence etc. All of which are so rare that A) chances of acquiring them are slim and B) probably not affordable. I vowed to not venture into other calibers. Soooo, where do I go from here. To the OM protected sights?

Now I do have all six transition guns, both brass frames and both non-prefix convertibles. One with shipping sleeve. My issue is that there are so many minor variations that I can't fathom how many guns I would be chasing. Also most of those variations, have very little meaning or value from an invest perspective to the average guy. I know the investment aspect is secondary. When I started collecting the stock market was in the tank, so money went to collecting. Obviously hindsight being 20/20, I would have knocked it out the park in the market. But, this has been so much fun and I have met so many great people.

What do yins think? ( YEP, PITTSBURGH YINZER )

I'm not much for collecting guns, but what I do collect I do because I enjoy owning them. If the minor variations aren't interesting, why bother?

If you're seriously hooked (and I know you are), it really doesn't matter how many variations there are . . . the reward is in the search.

If you have "all" the .357 flatties, why not go for the .44 versions? That ought to keep ya busy for a while.

Good luck from yer Kentucky friends.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

contender

Ruger Guru
I would look hard at what Bob Campbell did. He went after all the variations from 1955-1973. Darn hear 100 guns from what I recall. You already mentioned brass framed guns, and non-prefix convertibles. So, you already have some protected sight guns.
This way, you stay with the 357, and while searching for the guns, you may discover the even rarer, odd old Flattops you seek.

radicalrod

Hunter
Heck just start looking for CONSECUTIVES to the ones you OWN :!: :!: :!:

That has worked for me when I had trouble finding something to chase :roll: :roll: :roll:

Though lately I have been buying more COLTS than RUGERS....still about a 6 to 1 ratio :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS you think about this WAY TO MUCH :lol: :lol: :lol: RR

Tommy, check these two threads . . .

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=222024

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=221975

. . . and consider the possibilities of going .44

;)

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
:D I kind of took Rods road. Go for low digit and consecutive guns. They are hard to find but the chase is half the fun

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Another option is to look at collecting carbines, or rifles, to match the flattops. Such as leverguns or BPCRs (falling blocks, rolling blocks etc). Just pick a theme and a manufacturer, or several, and match them up.

Ted

tommygun

Single-Sixer
Ale they are beautiful but I am not moving to another caliber. I will not stray from that. Interesting things to consider. Never thought of rifles. Oh, that would surely mean another safe. Ok so how many Ruger rifles we talking about in .357? Ole Bob really had 100 of them? Must have downsized by the time I visited with him!

Contender was talking revolvers, not rifles. I was never aware he had any large concentration of rifles, much less .357 rifles, just his nice assortment of .357 single-actions (and a couple of other calibers). Not to say he didn't have them, of course.

I am not aware of all that many .357 Ruger rifles anyway. Was the Model 77 chambered in that round? Need to hear from Chad.

There are quite a few variations of the Ruger .357 double-action revolvers if that interests you. Many models, barrel lengths, finishes, etc. Might give that some thought.

:)

tommygun

Single-Sixer
ALE. T BEAR was talking rifles/carbines. I know there are several Ruger rifles in .357. I assume you were referring to ole Bob. When I saw his collection, it was mostly Flattops not protected sights. Did not know he had them as well.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
tommygun,

I don't know if Bob ever collected 357 rifles; wasn't tying back to Ty's post about Bob.

The Ruger rifles I know of in 357M are the No 1 (the CHP variant) and the 77/357. Don't know if there was a variant No 3, someone else might know.

Ted

No reason to go off on "tangents" stick with what YOU like, and if possible , always keep an eye out for BETTER ( nicer, or lower number) examples,,,,, as for Colts, there are FEW folks I can think of that can even afford to START collecting Colts, check out the NEW blue book, plain stupidity.............
just goes to prove once again, that the dollar is NOT worth a damn 8) :roll:

6gun

Hunter
Since you say your looking for snide remarks, it sounds like a very boring collection to me, all the same type and cal. just variations of the same thing, personally I like lots of different types of hand guns and rifles one or two of the same type are enough for me.

like investing your money you wouldn't put all your cash in just one market or fund would you? why do it with guns? Best to spread your funds out in different markets one fund fails the others keep you from going bust.

radicalrod

Hunter
rugerguy said:
No reason to go off on "tangents" stick with what YOU like, and if possible , always keep an eye out for BETTER ( nicer, or lower number) examples,,,,, as for Colts, there are FEW folks I can think of that can even afford to START collecting Colts, check out the NEW blue book, plain stupidity.............
just goes to prove once again, that the dollar is NOT worth a damn 8) :roll:

Kinda liked when we gave BB our RENE prices :? :? :?

Though it had to happen with COLTS....eventually as everyone new BB was way off from reality....RR

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Tommygun,
Stick with what you like, a very narrowly focused collection is not all bad. As some suggested, consecutive numbers to what you have is an interesting hunt. Well done, but not Factory, engraved 357 Blackhawks are nice. Heck, there are only 2 Factory ones? Those owned by notable personages of the era are nice to find. That is enough to keep you "on the hunt". My own experience is that when there is nothing left to hunt, interest is very hard to maintain.
CLN