What's Your "Holy Grail" Gun That You Actually HAVE?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
hangnoose said:
A shame you can't/won't use it. It is a delight to shoot, a smooth lever action like a sewing machine, the mag holds plenty of ammo, deadly accurate, even if I can't read my watch or use the cell phone without specs I can still bang the heck out of a dueling post or take head shots on squirrels (at under 50 yards, well under). It very well might be my MOST FUN gun to shoot.
It's not that I can't/won't shoot it.......just haven't yet. I DON'T buy guns to put them up in the box just to say I have them. I buy guns to shoot and use, that's what they were made for. If it makes it worth $100 less to fire it, so what. I realize guns are an investment, but they are also to use.

Same for the thumbhole Ruger 10/22 TG I just bought and the unfired Mark I that I have. As soon as the weather breaks, they will also get rounds through them

I feel the same way about old cars, which I have several. If I can't or am afraid to drive it, I don't want it.

Maybe I look at it wrong, but to me they are just guns and cars. Some worth more than others, but both made to enjoy

timnc

Single-Sixer
MKII Target 5 1/4" stainless
Security Six 2 3/4"
Single Six Convertible 4 5/8" "matte" stainless
SSM .32 magnum 4 5/8"
OM Blackhawk .357/9 from 1968
10/22 International
and the "oddball" a Colt Cobra 4" unfired so far

schnoov

Bearcat
Snagged a gorgeous condition Redhawk in .357 last week.
2l8n.png

Next to a 5" GP100.
ng90.png

My 'Holy Grail" gun is still out there. I don't know what it is exactly but will when I see it. I keep thinking I found it and after I buy it or at least fondle whatever is in front of me, I know it's still out there. A Skeeter 44spl might be it, maybe a brassie OM 45, or maybe just that KMK678 I was lusting for last year. The fun is to keep searching, never can tell what you might find tomorrow.

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
I have two Rugers that fill the bill. My first is a stainless Vaquero engraved for me by the Ruger Studio Art and Decoration

My Vaquero was sent to the Ruger factory late in 2006 and was returned to me in mid 2007 the engraver listed on the return packing list is Heidi Roos. I didn't know it at the time but the Studio was about to close. I guess there were a limited number of Factory Engraved Rugers for the second time. My gun is documented in steel in front of the trigger guard, but I think I'll call the factory for one of their letters. It will be interesting to see how much of the history they convey.

The second is a Ruger Collector's Association commissioned in 1983 Engraved by Robert Kain It has much more coverage than my Vaquero. If there are any members who can share more of the RCA's experience in this project I would be grateful to hear what you can share about this project. The Sxxxx guns seem to follow the Original Spainish engraved gun serial numbers. I am not sure the same can be said for the Axxxx guns. Mine is marked A1451 this does't seem to fit the serial numbers listed in John Dougan's book on the CHJ engraved original gun serial numbers.

If any would like, I am interested in which one is thought by others to be more holy than the other.

ceadermtnboy

Blackhawk
Factory engraving is more special IMHO. The Ruger Studio was the first chance to get Factory engraving from Ruger on a complete range of products. I know this was a Bill JR pet project that was not popular with accountants. In time factory documented works will be very collectible. Heck, even now they do not turn up on forums for sale or auction sights.

I do not consider the current Baron factory engraved firearms to be equals even though H Ross & R Bunting went to Baron, it was Paul Lantuch's supervision, inspection and touch up work, and the on site facility that will make the lettered firearms more valuable.

I would get a letter if possible.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I don't have a holy grail gun. But I do have quite a few ruger's. All mine are shooters I don't own a gun I don't shoot. I got into handguns several years ago and have probably 25 or so now mostly just production guns all my rugers are new models now. I owned a lot of 3 screw rugers in the past but wasn't into handguns and traded most of them away over the years. Then when I decided to get into pistols I fell in love with the ruger single actions and gathered up quite a few of them in almost all the calibers offered at the time with multiples of a few. I like the shorter barrels and the 4 5/8" ones are my favorite.

Depends.....is a Holy Grail gun a rare gun or one that you always wanted? If the latter, then these are mine:

In 1962 I bought a sporterized 1898 krag for $47.50. Forty years later I got it back after foolishly selling it.

1903A3 unissued
1952 K22 Masterpiece
K1-A Ruger 35 Whelen
1-A Ruger 7x57
Ruger Red Label 20g fixed/modified
S&W 696-1
Colt series 70 Combat Commander 38 Super
Ruger KNR-4 Liberty w/fluted cylinders
Marlin 1894CB Limited 45 Colt
And many others ......

Favorites, but maybe not Holy Grails.

Dave

Architorture23

Bearcat
I'm not really into collectibles, but I do like fine hunting guns. A nice No. 1 was always on my list and now I have a couple of them. Another that was always on my list was a nice Belgian Browning Sweet 16, which I also now own.

Really the biggie left on my list is a Winchester Model 21, preferably in 20 Ga.

d@rk51d3

Bearcat
My 1951 Beretta Silver Gyrfalcon.
.22lr carbine with selectable fire s/a - bolt repeater. Just wish I could find a scope mount to suit.

And my NIB, 1982 12ga Red Label with blued receiver.

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
colt python 6 inch.
colt mark v series 70.

how about grail gun we sold like idiots? mine was a python hunter, i am still kicking myself 25 years later.

radicalrod

Hunter
montegomx70 said:
colt python 6 inch.
colt mark v series 70.

how about grail gun we sold like idiots? mine was a python hunter, i am still kicking myself 25 years later.

Hey you don't still have that Hunter's case do you???? I need one :lol: :lol: :lol: RR

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
This was easy for me. Ever since an older co-worker put the hand gun hankerin' in me when I was 18 and introduced me to Elmer Keith and his writings I have wanted a copy of his #5SAA. I have heard of and read about Bill Grover and his guns over the years but had never seen one in person much less held or fired one until January of this year. I now own a Texas Longhorn Arms Improved Number Five and it is wonderful as everything that has been written about them and shoots as good as you'd expect. No safe queens here. Thanks again cubrock.

Robb

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
The collecting forum is my favorite, because not only is it a civil discussion, it's a history lesson.

My .22 Bisley was my first Ruger grail gun
My 2 Maximums
Didn't' know it at the time, but my 8 shot .327 Blackhawk would be a holy grail if I hadn't gotten it.
Weatherby MK V Accumark .338/.378
Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh
Linebaugh .500 Super Blackhawk , not a Bisley

Andyd

Bearcat
I have always considered myself more of a shooter than a collector but when I look at what I have kept - and I have sold well over a hundred handguns that I tried - I have more than I can shoot.

Let's start with revolvers.

Korth 24 and 26 series rimfire (1969 and 1971)
IMG_0514_zps9bd4c211.jpg

Korth 23 series rimfire (1967)
IMG_05092_zps328a3e90.jpg

1972 Colt Python that I bought pre-owned in 1983 and a Korth .357 Magnum Target
imagejpg2_zpsf8cb0a3e.jpg

Korth Combat .357
imagejpg2_zps6d93caac.jpg

1961 Colt OMM
imagejpg1_zps6e3dd8e5.jpg

Korth 30series rimfire plinker
imagejpg3_zps120acd42.jpg

Korth 26 series 5 shot .357 Mag