SBH 44 MAG REPLACEMENT BARREL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I have a superblackhawk 44 mag blued with a 7 1/2" barrel and since i got a scoped SBH hunter to hunt with i am thinking about having the barrel shortened to 4 5/8" for packing. The cost to get a cut and crown and replace the front sight seemed reasonable, then it was pointed out to me that it would cut through the lettering on the barrel . any recomendations on where to get a replacement barrel, either ruger or aftermarket?

captainkirk

Blackhawk
You can have the lettering polished out when the barrel is shortened. You might need a higher front sight though.

captainkirk

Sorry, first of all, Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good folks here!

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
Hi,
When I cut my barrel on a super blackhawk, a friend of mine used a tig welder to "melt" the lettering. He did not use a filler as that might not have matched the blue when the gun was reblued. We put it in a lathe and polished it so it's hard to tell. As far as the front sight. I used the same sight, just adjusted the rear to match.
Hope this helps. John

flatgate

Hawkeye
Front sight height requirements, IMHO, hinges heavily on the bullet weights and their velocity utilized in your ammo.

I like 280's and 300's in my .44's and need a bunch of front sight height.

JMHO,

flatgate

12401192.jpg

Note the front sight. I had Ruger install the 4-5/8" .44 cal. barrel and the short barreled .45 Blackhawk front sight. It was a tiny bit too tall with my handloads.