10/22 Misfires

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
I have friend that is having light hits from the firing pin on his 10/22. The gun is clean and is approximately 12 years old. Have not had any problems with this gun until the last couple of months. The shell casings show a very light indentation and today after firing 40 rounds about 6 did not fire and the primer strike was obviously light.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Snake45

Hawkeye
All with one kind of ammo? What kind?

I had a batch of Fed Walmart Bulks a couple years ago that seemed to have brass either thicker or a little harder than normal. It behaved as you described in several different guns. The next lot I bought was fine again.

Your friend's gun might also have a dirty chamber.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Try another kind of ammo and see what happens. With one gun and one type of ammo, we really can't tell yet if it's a gun problem or an ammo problem. Could be either at this point.

check the firing pin, it can be worn, or maybe chipped off....look for burrs in the chamber edge as well as any fouling INSIDE the chamber, maybe need to run a finish reamer in it............they can LOOK clean, but lead will polish and get shiny and LOOK clean.............
but the ammo just may be the culprit as noted sbove, all to common,but as you said, if it worked up to recently, then "something" changed.........
but rimfires are notorious for "fouling", just plain dirty.........

pvoltmer

Bearcat
I had the same problem, although used the Remington 525 pack. Bought it in the past no big troubles so bought it again. DIRTY!! Wow, fingers were gold after i loaded the clips. I had about 4 or 5 not fire. I have had no problems until i shot that ammo and I usually shoot the Winchester Wildcat's. I'd say try ammo first before doing any major changes.

Bad ammo is the norm for ammo manufacturers these days. In the past year I have sent one case of SV back to Winchester, Two cases of HV 525/550's back to Remington. My customers are seeing 11-22% failure to fire from these two manufacturers. I haven't seen this with CCI or Federal but then rarely will you find any on the shelves. I can't get CCI or Federal for my little shop regularly. The last CCI I got was about a month ago it was SV and had to buy it from Ron Shirk. My customer says it is working fine in all his guns, S&W M41, & Ruger. He bought some Eley, the heads are under spec. the extractor crawls over the rim on the M41. I replaced the extractor and spring with the same results. The Eley works OK in the MK II Ruger.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Sam Summey":2019x67r said:
In the past year I have sent one case of SV back to Winchester, Two cases of HV 525/550's back to Remington. My customers are seeing 11-22% failure to fire from these two manufacturers.
Interesting. I've shot about 21K of Remington Golden Bullets (which I assume is what you're talking about) in the last three years with a very consistent dud rate of one to two percent. The most recent of these was bought last summer (2009), my Walmart hasn't had them in since then.

I had one bad lot of Winchester XPerts that gave chambering problems in several guns. There have been two reports on this forum of OOB kB!s of this ammo which I believe came from the same lot (or a lot with the same problem).

I always considered Federal Walmart Bulk to be extremely reliable (though not accurate) ammo until 2008. I firmly believe that in 2008 (and to a lesser degree, 2009), both Federal and Remington shipped lots of .22 bulk ammo that in normal times would not have made it past QA.

rifleman51

Bearcat
I would suspect the firing pin. They are cheap and easily replaced. Also check for a burr on the chamber. If there is a burr, have it removed.
The Ruger 10-22's also have excessive headspace. If you are interested in having your bolt modified for minimum headspace as well as a couple of other mods, PM me. I'm a retired gunsmith and can use a friends gunsmithing shop to do the mods. I cut down the face of the bolt using a surface grinder so there is .043" headspace, radius the rear of the bolt to make cocking of the hammer easier with low power ammo and put a pin in the bolt to keep the firing pin from riding up.
By using the surface grinder, you can be assured that the bolt face will be parellel and cut smooth. These mods will improve accuracy as well as reliability.

Best Regards, John K