Installing Ruger Vaquero Bird's Head Grip Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hi,
Has anyone ever converted a Stainless Steel Ruger Vaquero Plow Handle to a Bird's Head Grip Frame?
I'm wanting to install an original factory replacement part.
Like the one at this link: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=821208

If you have, does it require any fitting to a Ruger Vaquero (not New Vaquero) .45 Colt frame? Does it require any buffing to match the shine of the original frame?

Also, does one need any different, or extra parts not shown beside grip panels?

I've never done any of this before and I'm tying to research as much as possible to make it less frustrating during the project.

Thanks, any help or advice is appreciated.

821208.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I believe the swap is a fairly easy one. I haven't done any swaps like this but it shouldn't be any big issues. Now,, if you have a Bisley gripframe & want to swap it to a birdshead,, that's different. Do a "search" in our archives to find out more about swapping gripframes as it's been discussed more than a few times here.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
It's not a drop in part. You will have to fit the sides and the ears of the grip frame to the cylinder frame. (filing and polishing)

You will also need the trigger spring hanger pin. I wouldn't recommend trying to knock out the old one and reinstall it in the new grip frame. too easy to render either the pin or the original grip frame less than usuable.

Thanks Contender,
I did a search and did not find anything specific to what I was doing. Perhaps I was using the wrong keywords. I kept wandering off getting interested in the other posts instead. ADHD? :)

Thanks John,
I was going to go on your and other's advice and also order a trigger spring retaining pin (KXR06300) and a grip panel dowel (KXR01400).

I'm going to use the hammer spring, hammer strut and hammer strut seat from the previous grip frame.

tn gun runner,
I have the same problem with follow up shots by having to regrip after recoil.

I guess I have small hands because the plow handle grip irritates me. Or as you mentioned in your pictures has an Ouch factor.

I like the Birdshead grip because it feels more comfortable to me and has a Coolness factor.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
americanworkmule":2mbe9sp2 said:
tn gun runner,
I have the same problem with follow up shots by having to regrip after recoil.

I guess I have small hands because the plow handle grip irritates me. Or as you mentioned in your pictures has an Ouch factor.

I like the Birdshead grip because it feels more comfortable to me and has a Coolness factor.
You will find all my Vaquero and Blackhawks have SBH hammers make the guns fit my hands better , since I have small hands , which are drop in replacements . I reshape my match guns for 2 reasons , 1 for the looks and the other I slip hammer in my matches and the thinner hammer works better for me .

Picture221.jpg

reshaped.jpg

Latest posts