Question about oil?...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
A friend of mine told me Remington gun oil was not good to use due to the teflon...is this true?, and if so, why?...Thanks...

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't have anything against Teflon, other than I refuse to cook in a Teflon pan. But Remington's oil aint oily enough to suit me.

Not saying that it won't do. Just saying that I prefer something a bit heavier.

DGW

contender

Ruger Guru
Theres another one of the age old arguments. What kinds of oils are best & what not to use because of,,,,!
I have several types of oils, lubes, greases, cleaners etc on my bench. Some I tend to prefer over others,, but I've never thrown ourt any except when a bottle broke one time.
All I can offer is that you should decide what you want to use.

yep, use what you have , that works for YOU.....we all have our "favorites, likes and dislikes...."I see nothing wrong with it, if thats what YOU have...would I go out and buy it? No......

billccm

Bearcat
I have been using TriFlow, which is a penetrating fluid with Teflon for years on everfything from exhaust manifold bolts to bike chains to guns. From the looks and smell of RemOil, it seems to be similar to TriFlow.

When Slick 50 came out, there were some arguments that Teflon could not suspend well in oil, and that no lube with Teflon 'actually' applied Teflon to any surface. As an engineer, I tend to lean towards the suspend arguments in that I think PTFE cannot be made smaller than ~25 microns, but I may be all wrong?

Having said that, my gun buddies turned me onto Prolix, and I have not used anything else on my guns since. Prolix is really kind to polymers, works really well on wood, and I noticed after a few soakings on my Single Sixes, they seemed to function smoother. I wasn't a dry lube kind of guy until I used the Prolix stuff, but it defiantely soaks into nooks and crannies and leaves a nice dry lubed surface.

MY two cents for the day, Bill

rugerbh73

Bearcat
I've been using RemOil exclusively since they started selling it in aerosol cans. No rust yet and cylinders still turn. I shoot mostly revolvers, leveractions, and double barrel shotguns. I can't comment on the effectiveness of RemOil as a lubricant for high volume auto shooting. It is all I've ever used on my service pistol (P90DC), although it hasn't seen many rounds in several years. (I havn't been in law enforcement since '96)

I'm trying the new RemOil product with the vapor phase rust inhibitor. I'm hoping it will give me a little rust protection edge for a blue revolver that I keep in the truck (zipped up in a bag).

Before RemOil I used 3+1 oil. I think my Dad and I used the same little can of 3and1 oil for my entire childhood.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
btrumanj makes a very good point. Although I have used Tri-Flo for many years, I have also used many others that worked satisfactorily. Using too much only serves to make the gun a recipient for collecting dust, dirt, fouling, etc. and eventually, malfunctioning.............................Dick

Rainman

Blackhawk
I use Rem Oil to generally wipe down all my guns but if I really want to lubricate places like slide rails on 1911s or base pins on Rugers, I use a touch of Gold Grease. Probably came from my army years with an M-14 but I'm partial to grease.

I thoroughly clean after every shooting session however.

Like Contender said, I'm not throwing out anything. I use it all.

Dan