New pawl? Need fitting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Do GP100 Pawls come in different sizes? Do they need to be fitted?
I bought a new GP100 and would like a little better carryup.
The hammer is letting go in DA as soon as the cyl. stop drops in the slot.

I like it to feel like my SP101s where you can feel it drop in, and still have a little trigger pull, before the hammer drops.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I'm no expert but I don't think they come in different sizes except for the differences in manufacturing. They definitely need to be fitted. Don't forget the inertia from cylinder rotation will carry until the cylinder-stop pops up and stops it. If the notch gets there too soon that can cause extra stress on the pawl. Just $.02. :D

...Jimbo

flatgate

Hawkeye
One can "stretch" the pawl via a hammer and flat punch.

I've NOT worked on D.A. sixguns so won't comment any further.

flatgate

Pinecone

Blackhawk
allglock, I wouldn't mess with success! For optimum double action accuracy "your" revolver is timed just "right" The last thing you want in double action is "drag" of any sort! Get used to the way "it" works and enjoy shooting!.......................Dick :wink:

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
In this case, I believe the pawl must be thicker instead of longer. However, I doubt if they come in different thicknesses on purpose. The reason is that the thicker (side to side) pawl will bear against the right side of the window and allow the tip of the pawl to engage more of the ratchet...which will then turn the cylinder a bit further. Try a new one first, if that doesn't work, I'd send it to Ruger. This part is also designed to move rearwards and disengage the cylinder ratchet if the cylinder locks up. Careful fitting required.

Carry_Up

GP100man

Buckeye
Carry-Up hit on it purty good ,just take the new one & try as suggested if any binding just slowly work it to the shape of the old one just leaving it thicker where ya see signs of wear .

i will suggest when comparing pawls use some magnifycation ,a little goes a long way!!

this is one reason triggers are replaced often on ruger da revolvers , wear where the pawl connects to it