Security Six barrel bob

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick R

Bearcat
My first post, go easy on me. :D

I've got a 6" blue Security Six that I bought in 1980. I never really used it for hunting just target shooting and now I'd like it better if it were a 4".

Called Ruger about doing a rebarrel and the fellow who answered the phone was less than helpful saying that they only use their remaining barrels for "emergencies". :(

I saw pictures of some Security Six revolvers with the barrel bobbed and what appeared to be a S&W front sight pinned in place.

Any guidance as to who does that type or similar work would be appreciated.

Rick

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
I, for one would like to know what is considered an "emergency". :?

If I thought I could get a spare barrel or two for my Sixes, from the factory, I'd be on the phone posthaste...

Dunno if it helps you, but I am pretty sure you can "swap" barrels, if you find another, perhaps you might try www.gunbroker.com, they have some from time to time...

I say this because a 2 3/4" barreled Security Six eludes me still, and am thinking this might be done to my 4".

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum! :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, I'd resist the idea of spending a lot of $$ having it cut down. I'd just hunt for a factory gun in 4" to swap or buy. OR,, you can get into looking for spare parts and find a 4" barrel as they are not as hard to find as the shorter ones. If you find a barrel,,, a good gunsmith can install it for you fairly easily. Plus,, you can keep the 6" barrel in case you ever want to sell it etc.

Flash

Buckeye
The emergency is when someone either blows up a gun or it's impossible to determine who was responsible for blowing up a gun that ws submitted for repair. Already hashed that out with Ruger two years ago. I'd follow contender's advice and buy a whole gun. There are many sellers on gunbroker who often sell guns that were destroyed buy sawing the frame in two but the remaining parts are fine. I've bought many single action parts this way for one part or another. It's much easier than dealing with Ruger.