Epoxy and stag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have an older set of stag grips that need some repair (metal disc is starting to come off), what epoxy works well on elk stag?

Acorn

Buckeye
"JB Weld" works pretty well with just about everything that isn't subjected to high temperature. Almost any auto parts store has it for around $5.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I've had good success with Devcon's two ton, two part epoxy on knife handles I've made...a few of which were elk horn. This is the slow cure stuff. Just be sure both parts are clean. De-natured alchol works great. Ace Hardware is the only place locally I can find it. Home Depot, Lowes and Wally-World used to have it but all they have now is the Loc-Tite brand. I have NOT been impressed with it.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/product_ ... cts_id=314

deac45

caryc

Hawkeye
flatgate":24folwpb said:
Anybody try Gorilla Glue?

:D

flatgate

PS David, are you referring to the Medallions?

I don't like Gorilla glue. It's too messy with that foaming that it does. It might be good stuff if you aren't trying to contain it between two parts or you don't care about the looks of the repair.

Johnnu2

Hunter
David, I recently experimented with two things: 1) I used Liquid Nails on Stags but haven't subjected them to any heavy recoil or severe cold temps (and probably never will)....I glued two of the new "Old Model" medallions that Ruger is selling thru parts dept. They look great. The second experiment was with Acra Glass on some plastic Lett grips. I drilled out the new model medallions and then very carefully drilled a couple of VERY SMALL holes in the side of the channel where the medallion fits, as well as a coupla of VERY VERY SMALL holes in/near the stem of the medallion. I've shot this one with some hot .45LC loads and so far so good. Again, I won't be subjecting these guns to any extreme temps (I use a T/C Contender to pistol hunt). Of course, if you are dealing with real "factory stags" I wouldn't touch them. John N

I used the gorilla glue on a cracked rifle stock. I sanded and refinished the stock. It turned out nice. I knew about the foaming problem so I didn't go overboard with it. I learned my lesson with it the first time I used it. :wink:
That stuff ain't cheap but it works great.
Eric
p.s. Works on metal also. I used it on a trigger block.

caryc

Hawkeye
Foaming problem? It's not exactly a problem. The stuff was designed to work that way to completely fill a joint. You just have to use it for what it was intended to be used for.

As long as it is used on something that can be sanded afterwards it will be ok.

SAJohn

Hunter
Conap epoxy is the best stuff I have used for cold weather shock applications. You can order it on the net from Golfworks or try your nearest golf club repair shop. It keeps my golf club heads glued to their shafts in below freezing weather (I had a heated golf cart to ride in). I've used it to bond slotted barrel front gun sights on SAA clones with complete success.

I have also used it to tighten up the barrel to bushing fit of 1911's. It has great wear resistance to sliding contact.

JB weld is great stuff but I have not tested its' cold weather shock resistance.

SAJohn

Latest posts